Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Opinions?

I've done this type of play three times in the last few days. The flop check was sort of a last second decision, I don't think I really meant to do it. More interested in turn/river. I was check/folding the river as well as folding to a turn 3-bet.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 01-26-2006, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Opinions?

If you know the guy would bet the flop and the turn with nothing then I'd say its good to do every once in a while but not as your standard line. I'd say that in that situation I'd usually valuebet the whole way down.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you know the guy would bet the flop and the turn with nothing then I'd say its good to do every once in a while but not as your standard line. I'd say that in that situation I'd usually valuebet the whole way down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for no help.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:16 PM

Why do you go out of your way to be a dick?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:16 PM

i hate the checkraise. you have 0 chance to fold a better hand and all that may happen is you may entice him to go crazy 3betting with nothing, fire you off a 6 outter or checkfolding the river when he called the turn with a naked 4 or 6 (assuming he 3bets these hands preflop which may happen). yikes.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you go out of your way to be a dick?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll put on the top of my list of people to notify once I figure it out.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i hate the checkraise. you have 0 chance to fold a better hand and all that may happen is you may entice him to go crazy 3betting with nothing, fire you off a 6 outter or checkfolding the river when he called the turn with a naked 4 or 6 (assuming he 3bets these hands preflop which may happen). yikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The plan isn't to fold a better hand though (at least not on this board), it's to get value from worse ones.

My problem is that the preflop action should deter me from doing this. He is much more likely to have a PP given that he 3-bet PF.

If I had just raised PF and he called. Then I bet the flop and he called. Then I check/raised the turn, I'd like it a lot better.

What do I know though. Also, this board may not be the best I admit... mostly because the folding a better hand element is out of there.

Thoughts on this play with like a K on board and me holding AQ?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:24 PM

Okay, honestly. Here's why...

This guy is the type who is capable of a bluff or semi-bluff with hearts on the turn here. It's a blind battle and he is willing to try and make a play for the decently sized pot.

I want to take his play away from him. He is going to call most turns to try and spike a pair if he doesn't have one. A big problem, as TStone pointed out, is that I can't get a better hand to fold and that is a huge advantage to this play on the right board.

I really should have bet the flop though... not sure what happened there.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:56 PM

I bet the flop usually blah blah.

Turn c/r I think is the best out of all our options since we came to this point. I can't really put my finger on why, but we're ahead a lot of the time, and I guess value extraction is good, plus he's generally peeling the river.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The plan isn't to fold a better hand though (at least not on this board), it's to get value from worse ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I was check/folding the river

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it...shouldn't you be betting the river then?