Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 05:43 AM

Default Life Is Beautiful: Snow White Riddle

I enjoy this movie, and since I don't understand Italian, I've watched it subtitled.

In the movie, there is a riddle about Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. The answer to that riddle is based a play on words. I was curious what the riddle was in the original Italian. I am assuming that the play on words does not work out in that language, but I might be wrong about that.

Does anyone who watched it in Italian (and understands that language) want to fill me in on the "original" riddle?

-RMJ
Old 09-13-2006, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Life Is Beautiful: Snow White Riddle

Didn't see the movie, so I can't comment on your joke.

But being Italian, I can tell you that old people are always telling jokes that make no sense in English. Scorcese's mother does this in "Goodfellas". She finishes with, "But it's much funnier in Italian."

When I was a kid, my Grandparents had a series of jokes about a stupid boy named "Juvarr" (I'm totally guessing on the spelling of that). An example would be, "Juvarr, when you go to church, take the door with you," which I suppose is an Italian idiom for "close the door behind you." Of course, Juvarr took the door off the hinges, and carried the door into the church with him, and everybody called him stupid.

Whenever one of us kids would do something stupid, my grandparents would start muttering to themselves in Italian, and though I didn't speak a word of it, I often picked out a "Juvarr" in their lamentations.

I'm about to turn 40, but my mother will still hit me with a "Juvarr" if I do something stupid.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:41 PM

Thanks for your story... it is kinda related, but unfortunately doesn't help me.

Anyone here that can answer my original question?

-RMJ
Old 09-13-2006, 07:11 PM

I am curious as to the OPs question as well.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:21 PM

if you can find the dialogue somehow and paste it into this thread i can help you out
Old 09-13-2006, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you can find the dialogue somehow and paste it into this thread i can help you out

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, I've exhausted my Googling skills, and have found no Italian screenplay online and no answer to my question. Maybe at some point I'll have to try and repeat what is said during that bit of dialogue and hope that someone can understand just what I was saying. Or, maybe someone else with Italian skills has seen the movie will emerge.

Hmmm... and, I thought OOT was full of movie buffs.

-RMJ