Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Hellmuth & Matusow Side-game aagreement

I was reading Hellmuth's blog and I saw this entry:

August 1

I watched players all day again, and played Chinese poker for $1,000 a point that night with David Oppenheim (who I had never beaten) and Barry Greenstein and was up over 150 points at one point in the match, but quit up 101 points ($101,000). Rather than leave, I jumped into at $100-$200 blind no limit Hold'em game bragging about how much money I won in the old days in the NLH side games. Aaron was in the game, and beat my A-A with 7h-4h, when he opened for $500, and I raised it up $3,000 more (into a $1,000 pot), and he called. Although I lost a lot of money with big hands like Q-Q vs. A-A, and a bluffer in the middle of us; or A-A vs. 7-4, I went off in the game for $100,000, which is my biggest poker loss ever (where I had 100% of myself). I basically gave away the last $30,000 or so.

Since Mike "the Mouth" Matusow is booking me in side games for the year of 2006 (except in Chinese poker, damn!), I actually lost $200,000 for the night. However, I was up $185,000 in my side game book (where Mikey matches my net side game wins and losses for the year in the real world only [no online poker]). Now I'm only up $85,000. Mike and I have capped it at $400,000 maximum, so that I was halfway home to quitting the side games for the year. (I will quit when I hit $400,000 winner for the year, trust me on that!)

I felt foolish being up $101,000 for the day, and then losing back $100,000! Bad management and major titling got the best of me here. It was a stupid thing to do, especially when I had Mikey down $185,000, but we all make mistakes sometimes.

Should be an interesting competition [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Hellmuth & Matusow Side-game aagreement

so mike just assumes hellmuth will end up a loser in the side games? that's a pretty funny bet.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that's a pretty funny bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-04-2006, 04:12 PM

lmao yah that is odd
Old 09-04-2006, 04:16 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

im confused [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so mike just assumes hellmuth will end up a loser in the side games? that's a pretty funny bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, is Mike staking him or betting against him
Old 09-04-2006, 04:42 PM

Matusow is booking him for 100% of his action. At the end of the year, if Hellmuth is in the red, he has to pay Matusow an amount equivalent to his loss. If he wins, Matusow has to double his winnings.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:47 PM

Seems a risky bet to make with someone who blatently lies about the amounts he wins and loses in these games.

"oh yeah mikey I'm up like $10trillion, you didn't see? Oh it must've been when you went to the bathroom"
Old 09-04-2006, 04:53 PM

you should listen to the hellmuth wsop circuit interviews. He talks about this agreement in them, and they're also some of the more entertaining episodes.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:08 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

[ QUOTE ]
you should listen to the hellmuth wsop circuit interviews. He talks about this agreement in them, and they're also some of the more entertaining episodes.

[/ QUOTE ]im pretty sure i listened to it and i never heard of this deal [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]