Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2006, 05:29 PM

Default 10/20 KK - Too greedy on the river?

Forgot which site, PT has been acting up lately. Doesn't seem to bother me a whole lot by the way, maybe some food for thought. But I digress.

Some history: 10 minutes or so ago I also had KK, raised pre, potted the flop, and got minraised behind me by the same villain on a J63 twotone board. I decided to take one off and see what he'd do on the turn (like?). We checked down to the river (two tens came, no flush) and my hand was good. Didn't get to see his hand.

Anyway, here goes. Eight or nine players. I (2500) make it 80 with KK, one caller behind me, Villain (2500) calls in SB, BB folds.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Pot 260

Villain checks. I bet 260. Other guy folds, Villain makes it 520. I call.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Pot 1300. (We both have ~1900 left)

Villain checks. I bet 700. Villain calls.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Pot 2700

Villain checks. I figure he'd have bet if he had something, so I go all in.

I guess I would have had to call if he shoves turn or river (after my turn bet), but I wouldn't feel good about it. Yet I pretty much auto bet the river when he checked. Thoughts?
Old 09-04-2006, 05:43 PM

Default Re: 10/20 KK - Too greedy on the river?

not bad. your turn bet size relative to the pot will increase your propensity for checking behind the river in his mind, thus making him more likely to just set you in for your last 1200 into 2700 if he has you beat.

there is also a wide range of hands that can possibly call your river shove. so why not?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:05 PM

surprised no other replies to this wonky hand. esp after a number of people i spoke to had differing thoughts.

anyhow, resultzzzz?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:11 PM

I'd put him on a pp<KK, and he'll have to call the river often enough to justify pushing getting, what, 3.5:1? (too lazy go go back and do the math, but that sounds about right). I think only hand that realistically beats you is a flopped straight which he can't bet on the river but will definitely call with. Then again, wouldn't he check-raise turn with that? ... so, yeah, river push is good.

Kirk
Old 09-05-2006, 05:43 PM

Almost forgot about the results because it got pushed down on my screen so quickly..

He had queens, yay.

I hate these mfing minraises, but since he did it before and I was good, I decided the turn was a safe bet. I like to bet amounts that are ambiguous, i.e. he can't figure out if it's an auto all in on my part or not. That way if he raises, it's easier to talk myself into believing I made the right play after the fact, whether I call or fold [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I thought a little bit about the I'll be beat more often than not bit if I'm called, but usually I just bet in the heat of battle, unless it's like a pot-sized bet left. Problem is, with a relatively large pot it's easy to think 'I'm prolly winning anyway' - so that even if he only calls with a better hand, you'll make a net profit on the river. Doesn't change the fact that it's spewing chips though