Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 06:06 AM

Default Help me plan my trip...

SO....

I am going to Vienna for the EWSOP (19 years old, first live tournament). I have off of school from 26th of Feb to the 5th of March. THe tourny ends the fifth. So I need to get a flight back from Vienna on the 5th to be one day late for school. Whatever, school sucks anyway.

My question is what should I do with my remaining time. What country should I visit? What should I do with myself in Europe? Sure the cards will be fun in Vienna, but I will probably bust day 1 or 2 and I want to have done something else with my trip.

As of now, I am thinking about going to Paris before (with my buddy who is coming along for the ride.) We would stay in a nice hotel, go to the Aviation Club, hang out, eat great etc. I have been to Paris many times and love it of course. Then we would take a train to Vienna for the tournament.

One question - how long does that train ride take?

So assuming the Paris / Vienna itinerary, how would you plan the trip? what would you do in Paris besides seeing the sites. Any restaurants, hotels (need internet in the room), clubs, bars, etc that are suggested?

Or is there another place that would fit in better? Remember, it has to be a train ride away from Vienna.

All suggestions here or via PM are appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Help me plan my trip...

Hate to say it but most of us here are American and don't know s-hit about Paris/Vienna. Isn't there a board frequented by Europeans where you can post this?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:39 PM

That is such a sorry comment. Many people have experiancce travelling, if you dont. Hopefully others can chime in on small or big details I should be looking at for my trip.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One question - how long does that train ride take?

[/ QUOTE ]

For planning the train ride, use the France National Rail site (in English).

Looks like Paris-->Munich-->Vienna. About 15 hours total, with a short changeover in Munich. Standard Fare is about 170 Euro (one way), but I saw a promotion for people your age at 29 Euro (one way, no changes, non-refundable, yada, yada).

[ QUOTE ]
So assuming the Paris / Vienna itinerary, how would you plan the trip?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, guidebooks?

[ QUOTE ]
what would you do in Paris besides seeing the sites. Any restaurants, hotels (need internet in the room), clubs, bars, etc that are suggested?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots to see. If you want a unique "tour" of the city's main sites along the Seine on a Segway, I can recommend City Segway Tours.

I do not have any relationship to the company. I simply took one of their daytime tours and had a blast.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:25 PM

thanks! but anyone have any more specifics / favorite restuarants or hotels or wwhatever?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:29 PM

www.fodors.com

www.frommers.com
Old 01-25-2006, 08:35 PM

wow... come on doesnts anyone have PERSONAL EXPERIANCES??? I can look at a guidebook but I want specifics from people... come on!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:03 PM

I would fly. It'll be much quicker and there are a ton of really cheap European budget airlines (e.g. Easyjet, Virgin Express, Sky Europe).
As for accomodation and stuff to do there are a million Paris guidebooks although I've found that Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree (linky) is a really good place for up to date info and places that aren't in all the books. Have a blast.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:37 PM

i just spent a week at the euro finals of poker which was in paris at the aviation club.

i hate paris. i love the city but basically all the people are uptight and rude. especially at the aviation club. we found the staff and service very unfriendly, slow, unhospitable, and generally unpleasant. the people were worse - one guy would be at showdown, wait 3 minutes, check his hole cards 3 times as if they were going to change then eventually muck. he did this everytime. i finally said something and he went ballistic. everyone else was unpleasant as well.

i have never had so little desire to play poker in my life as i did in paris - but on a positive note, i had a very good week online in the hotel.

anyways take that for what it's worth i think the aviation club is crap if you like a nice fun environment when you were p laying poker. and the games were also deaaaaaad on the weekdays. i went 4 times, one saturday they were great but then the game broke in 1 hour after i started (i played the 10/20nl) and then after that they sucked, tightest games ever. and the rake for 10/20 was 40 euros an hour.