Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 10:55 AM

Default Stuck in a rut-need help out

I am kind of stuck right now in my poker playing, and (this is not a series of bad beat tales) I just need advice on how to get back on track. I have been playing 5/10 limit hold-em on pokerstars as that has been my online game of choice. I play a little Pot-limit Omaha and all type of tournies but mainly limit cash-games. I play around the idea around making the best decsions possible and don't worry about outcomes so much. If I flop a set and someone plays their hand like a flush draw, hit the river, and I try to value bet because they checked the river to me, I am angry at how I played because I knew what he had. Anyway, I have been in this rut since early July, I was on a roll and winning big so I did expect a let down to come. After being up $1600 in a month in low limit cash games, I had a horrid run. It started when I was on the losing end of a flopped set over set 4 times in an hour-and-a-half. Not much I can do there so I am not worried about it. It never happended once before in 1 1/2 years and hasn't happened since. I have been breaking even since than with ups and simialr downs and yesterday I had another rough day. I was rivered on 6 hands for a total of about $650 in pots I would have won and I rivered 2 hands for about $150. The 5/10 Pokerstars game is not a complex one, I lose small pots and win big pots. I jam the pot with a hand and fold when I don't have outs. I doubled my buy-in early and had full table control. Then my stack started to dwindle. I thought about quitting, but I was still making great reads and the right decisions so I decided to keep playing. My buy-in could only take so much I eventually went broke. Looking back, I played really well which normally makes me happy, but after going through this for 2 months I need to see some results. I feel I have a good system to keep me playing my best, I don't re-buy so I keep losses to minimum, after a big loss I take a day off to be focused when I come back. I like to use poker-academy so I can be challanged and play for free. I am not a pro poker player but would like to make a living some day on poker, and I can't make a living on good decsions, eventually I need results. I have gone from a winning player to a break-even player and that doesn't work for me, so any advice I can get to pick-up the results is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Stuck in a rut-need help out

I'd say you're hitting a rough side of variance. Also you may not be as good as you think. Post some hands in the strategy forums.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:25 PM

I bet you are not as good as you think you are

But if this is the case or not, I'm not really sure what you want us to tell you, keep making the best decisions you can and the results should come.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say you're hitting a rough side of variance. Also you may not be as good as you think. Post some hands in the strategy forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also read other people's hands and compare your own answers. Observe mistakes that your opponents are making and make sure you don't make the same mistakes. That will give you confidence that you really know how to beat these stakes.

Don't ever be afraid to move down.