Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2006, 11:45 PM

Default Some realistic goal setting.

Hello everyone, I would like a little advice please. I currently have a small bankroll of 350 dollars and would like to set a realistic goal to reach by Oct. 1st. I normally play mtt's and sng's, but would like to add limit or no-limit cash games to my regular games. I have recently won a mtt and have good stats in sngs. However, I would like to start playing cash games. I don't want to play outside of my bankroll, but I would like to define some goals. Be it a goal for sngs or cash games, I would love to define one and achieve it.

I am not going to set a goal for mtts, because variance is so brutal. So, with a bankroll of 350 dollars, what are some realistic goals that I could achieve in one month of play?

Thank You.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Some realistic goal setting.

The best goal advice I can give you is to try to make the fewest mistakes you possibly can for the entire month. Don't set a number goal, that only leads to bad news

(Not getting to where you wanted to as fast as you want and playing above your bankroll)

Don't set a number goal for yourself... ever.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't set a number goal for yourself... ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
zactly! You can only control your actions, make the right plays and get your chips in the centre with the best of it and let the cards fall as they may. Variance is a biatch...just checkout BBV. Focus on playing well and the results might (or might not) come...chasing a certain winrate, $ amount or number of tourney wins is a result oriented approach can end badly.

edit:
1) I note that you are looking to get better at cash games....setting a monetary goal whilst you are learning is especially bad.
2) Please dont think that variance just happens in SNGs and MTTs....it can really bite hard in Limit too.

I wish you luck on acheiving whatever goals you set
Old 09-05-2006, 01:09 AM

if you're gonna make a goal it should be to play x thousand of hands in a month, or x number of sngs in a month, etc. focus on playing well and within your bankroll. learn from your mistakes. get better. profit.