Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 10:36 AM

Default Health Insurance for full-time student

I have decided to return to school full time, and am having some concerns related to health insurance. I currently work in an office and have health coverage. I think I am entitled to COBRA coverage, which may cover me for 6 months after I leave.

I am no longer eligible to be covered by my parents' health insurance (no longer live there, filed independent tax return last year). Do any students out there have any experience with a school-provided health carrier? Is there such a thing? Are there any good outside organizations that offer coverage for students? Any information is appreciated, thanx.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Health Insurance for full-time student

I know that at my school (UW-Seattle) they have university provided health care for full time students that is apparently listed at a pretty decent rate. I don't know much more than that about it. At my orientation though some of the upper classman were saying that it works out fine for them, but they were relatively healthy and had no dependants. Fortunately, I only have to work 16 hours a week at my job to be eligible for full coverage.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:01 PM

Most schools will have insurance provided that you're full time, (12 hours), and it will probably be cheaper than your premiums are from your employer right now. I don't know when you can apply for it, so you might consider keeping your current COBRA plan until you are enrolled in the University health care system.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:12 PM

I just received info on an insurance plan in the mail today from my school. Where are you planning on going? I would think that most/if not all major state schools would offer some kind of insurance plan, not sure about private schools
Old 07-25-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just received info on an insurance plan in the mail today from my school. Where are you planning on going? I would think that most/if not all major state schools would offer some kind of insurance plan, not sure about private schools

[/ QUOTE ]

Oakland University in my hometown of Rochester, Michigan. It's a small-medium university, but if a lot of other schools offer something, they probably do also. I'll update in a couple days when I find out if anyone cares. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have decided to return to school full time, and am having some concerns related to health insurance. I currently work in an office and have health coverage. I think I am entitled to COBRA coverage, which may cover me for 6 months after I leave.

I am no longer eligible to be covered by my parents' health insurance (no longer live there, filed independent tax return last year). Do any students out there have any experience with a school-provided health carrier? Is there such a thing? Are there any good outside organizations that offer coverage for students? Any information is appreciated, thanx.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on my experience when i was 19 i got my insurance onthe internet, If you havent found insurance by advice is try to shop for insurance online. I checked on the net found it to be easier to go online when shopping for insurance. The place I went to is http://www.insurancepaylite.com They were able to give a quote that was acceptable to me in the speediest time. Anyways hope this helps you.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:43 PM

I went to Holy Cross. A Catholic school.

I was told that school insurance covers abortions but not birth control.

I don't get it.

PS- Health services will kill you if theyre anything like my UG.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:11 PM

a lot of schools have designated companies that they offer to the student body. you should be able to contact someone and get info.

i have my own, so i have to deny their insurance they offer me through the school every year and fill out an online waiver.