Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 03:38 AM

Default fold my overpair?

$5/$10.

Back-ground. BB is a lag. SB is very aggressive. He once raised an EP limper from BB with A6o, but he wasn't involved in too many pots. Last orbit it was folded to me on the button and I stole the blinds.

PF: I'm buton with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. It folds to me, I raise, both blinds call.

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. It checks to me, SB calls, BB raises. I figure my 9's are probably good, and I consider 3-betting to push SB out of the pot, but I'm not sure it'll work. I decide to just call, raise a non-diamond turn, and hope to isolate.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Sh1t. SB checks, BB bets, I call, SB raises, BB folds. Now I know I'm probably behind, but I'm not 100% sure. SB is smart. He knows how scary the board is, that SB is probably bluffing, and that I'm not very confident about my hand. Is he crafty enough to try to steal this pot with a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x? Maybe, but It's gonna cost me 2 big bets to find out, and I decide it isn't worth it.

But then, I open-raised 2 times after that, and he called me both times, which makes me think he thought he could out-play me, because he did it before.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:40 AM

Default Re: fold my overpair?

very easy turn fold.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:25 AM

YUP - no problrm at all folding the turn.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:34 AM

You realize we're getting about 10:1 to call here? Four cards in the deck completes a full house. I'd be tempted to call, even though we are most likely behind at this point.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:49 PM

As played, easy turn fold (c/ring w/ 2 people already in)

Get in the flop 3-bet though. It has the benefit of getting another sb or two in the pot while you're likely ahead and at the same time lets you know if sb is serious about his hand.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:02 PM

There is a really big difference between villain check-raise two players as opposed to him doing it to you HU. We are very like beat right now.

I'm not sure we can count all 4 outs as clean if we are behind. Am I right that if we got popped by a 7 or an overpair, we have only 2 outs? I wouldn't c-r here with KK or AA holding a diamond in the hole (I am an idiot pussy, after all), but some aggros would. Even if this is a 3.5 out draw instead of a 4 out draw, it's tuff to call the c-r.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:12 PM

Three-betting the flop is going to be worth it. You get more money from what is likely a draw or one pair hand check-raising you (trips probably sandbags). You also get some valuable information from the SB. If he overcalls two and freaks on the turn, you know exactly what he has. If he overcalls and continues along on a non-diamond turn, you also know almost exactly what he has.

As played turn is an easy fold, even getting 10-1. Remember, we probably don't have four outs to a full house. As some important percentage of the time we are up against a 7 and not a flush. If we think of this as a 3-3.5 out hand instead of a 4 out hand it becomes a clear fold.