Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 11:14 AM

Default How many posters here would go on a free trip to DC to speak to their

I know some folks who are looking to put something together. They want to sponsor regular people to visit their Senators so they can tell them how they feel about online gambling and the Leach/Goodlatte/Kyl bills.

If a third party covered the airfare, transportation, and the hotel, how many of you would take two days out of your life to go tell your Senator in Congress how your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:21 AM

Default Re: How many posters here would go on a free trip to DC to speak to their

I am happy to assist from inside as possible, but for those that can do something like this I would highly recommend it.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Re: How many posters here would go on a free trip to DC to speak to th

Yes, I would definitely be willing to do something like this. I live in Vermont and am represented by Sens. Leahy and Jeffords. Senator Leahy seems to support the legislation but I'm unaware of the position of Sen. Jeffords.

TPK
Old 08-20-2006, 12:26 PM

Default Re: How many posters here would go on a free trip to DC to speak to their

I'd go for this. I live in Nevada, FWIW.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:50 PM

I live in md, and I would love to do something like this. I can just take the metro.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:56 PM

I live in Colorado and would love to do this.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:07 PM

I would - I'm from PA.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:52 PM

Default ME! ME!

I'd be more than happy to do so. Plus, I live just outside of DC in a MD suburb, so logistics would not be an issue.

I also would like to think that I could do a pretty damn good job making our case, in light of the fact that for the ten years prior to turning pro 2 months ago I was a lawyer at one of the most prestigious and respected firms in DC -- a firm that any Senator would certainly know, especially since lawyers at the firm have been White House Counsel for three of the past four Presidents and many, many other lawyers from the firm came from or went into high level positions in the federal government.

The only thing to keep in mind is that I am NOT a US citizen (yet). I'm a Canuck. I don't know whether this makes any difference or would ever come up, but just so you know . . .

Please feel free to PM me if there's anything I can do to help.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:51 PM

If this happens, I am on board.

Corvallis, OR
Old 08-21-2006, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know some folks who are looking to put something together. They want to sponsor regular people to visit their Senators so they can tell them how they feel about online gambling and the Leach/Goodlatte/Kyl bills.

If a third party covered the airfare, transportation, and the hotel, how many of you would take two days out of your life to go tell your Senator in Congress how your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the standpoint of those opposing the bill, this is an extraordinarily good idea. If the deep pocketed online poker sites cannot or will not use their funds for PAC/527 purposes, this is the next best thing. You should get a critical mass of players, and schedule meetings with Senators (unlikely) and staff (likely) as far in advance as possible. I am happy to provide advice on how to do this via PM if need be.

Other considerations: do not choose a Wednesday or Thursday. Those days are usually insanely busy in the Senate, with lots of roll call votes and tons of meeting requests, from what I understand. Harder to get meetings with the people you want. Choose a Monday afternoon or Tuesday if you can afford to do so.