Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2006, 10:04 PM

Default 15-30 Hand With My Opponent Blasting Away

4-handed 15-30. I'm UTG with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and raise, loose button coldcalls, SB folds and BB (villian) calls. I don't know villian and haven't played with him long, but he seems aggro. He is betting and raising a lot, but hasn't shown down much. I have no definitive read on him, but my initial impression is he's pretty aggro.

Anyway, three of us see the flop of 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB checks, I bet, button calls, now BB checkraises. I reraise, the button calls and the BB calls. The turn comes the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB bets and I raise. The button folds. Now the BB reraises. Your play? Was the turn raise proper? If you say call, pay off the end unimproved?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-23-2006, 11:08 PM

Default Re: 15-30 Hand With My Opponent Blasting Away

he could be getting nutty with a pair plus picked up club draw and he seems capable of being a nutjob. i guess you gotta call down given the description thus far.

still, against any reasonable player this is an easy fold. generally, in these situations where raise/fold is an option, i decide before i raise what im gonna do if 3bet. if dont know how to handle a 3bet then i just dont raise. i could be way off.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:06 AM

Since you haven't seen him show down, this is a call down. Be sure to take a note on him no matter what the outcome since you paid for the information.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:32 AM

I don't like just calling the turn with the pot 3 handed and a very vulnerable hand, and I think you can fold to the 3bet. He'd have to be very aggro indeed (and optimistic) to do this with a worse (or even slightly better) hand after the strength you've shown him, and given that range you're drawing pretty thin.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:37 AM

I 3bet the flop 100% of the time. but i think the only argument for raising the turn is to blast the button out of there. but i don't know...hmm.

by "show down much" do you mean he hasn't shown down any cards or he's shown down crappy cards?
Old 01-24-2006, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
by "show down much" do you mean he hasn't shown down any cards or he's shown down crappy cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

He has won a significant number of pots by betting (no showdown).

Jeff
Old 01-24-2006, 02:15 AM

if you gonna raise the turn you gotta fold to the 3-bet. you will get to see his hands soon enough. no sense paying him off when you are beat or likely behind and giving him a read on you.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:08 AM

Default RESULTS

Thanks for the comments and more welcome. I think the turn raise was mandatory with the button behind me. Since my other opponent was aggro and unknown, I decided to look him up even though this is inconsistent with how I usually play. Something just told me he might be light by his playing style (even though I didn't see a showdown). Anyway the river was the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He bet, I called and my hand was good. He showed J7o and my ten played.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-24-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

The first time I see the word villain being justified in the OP.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:40 AM

4 handed raising j10o utg? is that standard? I run fairly well but i just cant bring myself to raise a hand like j10s utg...
anyways, im calling his bet, because we cant call a 3 bet if he does indeed 3 bet...also, i hate this guy, once u get his number send em to the rails...
cdl