Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 03:27 AM

Default 2/4 hand - AK flops trips

I am getting back into 2/4, so I don't have many hands with villain. He is 22/7 over about 50 hands and I haven't seen his hand at showdown yet. My image is TAG, but he doesn't have many hands with me, so he might not know that. I have $400, villain covers.

I have AKo in MP. Folded to me, I raise to $16, villain calls on button.

Flop (~$35): AA3 rainbow

I lead for $30, villain calls.

Turn (~$95): Q completing the rainbow

I check, villain bets $40, I call.

River (~$175): 7

I lead for $100. Villain pushes.

My thoughts on the hand:

Obviously it looks like he has an A after the flop call. However, it could also be that he has a PP and thinks that I wouldn't bet the flop with an A. When the Q hits on the turn, I figured the only "big ace" type hand I'm ahead of is AJ, and if he's floating he will fold to a bet anyway, so I check. The $40 bet could mean he's milking me or it could mean he just wants to see if I'll fold. On the river, I figure he calls everytime he actually has an A and will sometimes call with a lower pair trying to catch me bluffing, but won't raise without a boat, so I get value when I'm ahead and can safely fold if he pushes. Of course, when he actually pushed I looked at the pot size and found the cursor hovering over the call button and really didn't want to fold.

In hindsight, I think I overthought this one and should have simply bet/called all-in on the turn. Thoughts?

-Solo
Old 08-21-2006, 06:09 AM

Default Re: 2/4 hand - AK flops trips

bet less on the flop.. easy call after he pushes. your river bet can be interpreted as either a donk bluff or a blocking bet. the way you played this hand represents a low/mid PP.