Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 10:00 PM

Default AK river line

effective stacks 2800,
I don't think I got out of line much on the table, UTG was pretty bad so button's isolation raise could really be wide range. villain was 35/18 over 80 hands, no other reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($3829.50)
Button ($2814.50)
SB ($1937.50)
Hero ($6120.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $10.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $100</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $280</font>, UTG folds, Button calls $200.

Flop: ($650) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $450</font>, Button calls $450.

Turn: ($1550) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($1550) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero...(each with 2k left)
Old 08-20-2006, 10:08 PM

Default Re: AK river line

edit: misread action...anyone like an overbet push?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:13 PM

uhhhh bet? he won't fold a weaker ace, i can't see how you avoid paying off a better hand, and he might pay you off with kings or even a queen if you're lucky. that's the key, no way is he betting with those hands if checked to but he might well pay off a bet.

and i think that he rarely has a better hand than you here.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone like an overbet push?

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked an overbet push at first, but reconsidered.

I agree with creed that we'll rarely be against a better hand here, as giving us free cards on the turn would be quite dangerous to a stack his size.

However, would he call your cold 4-bet with AJ, A9 or worse? Probably not...?

And would he call a big river bet here with KK, JJ, 99, or worse? Probably not that either...

So I think the only merit of overpushing here is to try and chase off the split AK, and even that is doubtful.

A small value bet is probably our best bet here, and KK will pay off. JJ might too.

Then again, if we check, we're giving JJ a chance to bluff us off our hand (which seems a lot like KK if we check it to him again). And that bluff will have to be bigger than our value bet, because we'll call a small one ourselves with KK.

So I think I like a check to induce a bluff from JJ. And if we check-raise, AK may find a fold too, which would be amazing for us.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:47 PM

dj i'm having a hard time putting villain on jj after calling our flop bet. it seems pretty weird to call an AQTr flop with jj after we 4-bet cold pf. i really don't know what he has but i am reasonably sure we are good so whatever line we take i want to make sure folding is not involved. i guess leading for like $800 is okay, but i still like overbet pushing.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:47 PM

I like a 800$ bet to make it look a little fishy.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:33 PM

luckychewy: what kind of range do you put him on at the river?

arturius: i think $800 would work nicely. I'm not sure if there's a better line.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:35 PM

bet 20. holla
Old 08-20-2006, 11:44 PM

I'd c/r ai. Not a lot of players would be good enough to check behind a worse ace on river here, and I want to stack an ace. I do, however, think that a lot of players would be able to fold a bad ace to a push here (your line reaks of strength if you bet, check and then push this river), this number is much greater than the number that would check a bad ace behind.

If we bet small, a bad ace is just calling (but we do gain the advantage that KK/Q can make a mistake), whereas if you check, bad ace bets and we c/r, I think he will often make a crying call with so little left. Also, I think a Q is not super-likely to call flop in the first place, much due to preflop-action. I also don't think we will get bluffraised here often enough even if we bet something like 500, I'd rather think he'd actually bluff more if we just checked; another reason to c/r here.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:49 PM

I disagree, MDMA, mostly because I just don't see villain having a hand he'd care to bluff here. Preflop + flop means that he's got some piece of this board, which is a recipe for checking behind -- most people don't have the balls to bluff with a midstrength made hand here.