Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 10:50 PM

Default Thin calldowns in small pots

I do this a lot and can't decide if it's a good idea or not. In small pots with a retarded aggro enough opponent, I c/c down with anything of showdown value, inducing him to keep bluffing. By the turn and river bet true it's less and less likely they're still bluffing, but it happens.

How do you play these? Bet, bet, c/c (folding if a spade hits)? Fold anywhere without a spade hitting?

Villain is 58/9/1.6 over 100 hands

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+1 has 6d Jd (three of a kind, sixes).
Hero has 5h 7c (two pair, sixes and fives).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 6.75 BB. </font>
Old 08-17-2006, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Thin calldowns in small pots

i would just check/fold this flop...super small pot vs a very loose player...bottom pair on a monotone and very coordinated board sucks...even if you think you have the best hand now its unlikely to remain that way and you have no idea where you stand...surely you can find a better place to get your money in against this opponent...

and don't post results...
Old 08-18-2006, 12:25 AM

Seems like a pretty textbook reverse implied odds situation. Your equity is not that great even against a large range of hands. If you were in position it might be slightly different on a slightly different board but this is a muck.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would just check/fold this flop...super small pot vs a very loose player...bottom pair on a monotone and very coordinated board sucks...even if you think you have the best hand now its unlikely to remain that way and you have no idea where you stand...surely you can find a better place to get your money in against this opponent...

and don't post results...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-18-2006, 06:34 AM

fold the flop man. this is just bad.

here's the thing, even if he's just semi bluffing with 1 spade, and two overs, he's actually winning.

small pot, out of position, with barely a pair, easy flop c/f
Old 08-18-2006, 12:20 PM

thin + small pot == no thx
Old 08-18-2006, 02:05 PM

Bet the flop.

Gauge his reaction, and take it from there.

Small pots are the key to Hold'em.

JT
Old 08-18-2006, 02:24 PM

Yah if you want to play this hand just bet the flop and take it from there. You have the worst seat, the worst pair. I also agree that small pots are very important but I think this post is an example of forcing the issuse.

If you check the flop, you should c/f.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:53 PM

Maybe the monotone flop wasn't the best example. Like these any better?

Hand 2:

Villain is 33/10/2.4

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

I figure to have the best hand often, but get more value out of catching bluffs. I c/c all three streets and hope to get a semibluff or complete bluff on two of the streets. I plan on folding if a Q,J,T, or heart falls.

Hand 3:

Villain is 55/19/2.3

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

On the flop, I was just calling for my five outs with implied. But when T paired, CO folded, I am now squarely headed to showdown. Villain is just too retarded for me to fold.

Hand 4:

Villain is 42/16/1.8

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Normally, I would take a stab here on the flop. But since I can showdown, I'll hope my laggy opponent takes a stab or two. I will c/c all three streets, folding only if the board double pairs or two more broadway cards hit.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:21 PM

Hand 1 fold
Hand 2 bet out or c/f, and don't fold if a heart comes, what makes you think this guy has 2 hearts?
Hand 3 fold
Hand 4 raise pf and bet out flop