Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 05:50 AM

Default Help me with AQ....

As a relatively new player to NL (after moving from limit), I need help with AQs/AQ. I seem to never know where I am with this hand, have been burnt a lot with it and now becuase of that I am indecisive and seem to end up making some really ugly plays with it. It is so bad now that I am at the point of just mucking it preflop unless I am on the button.

- How should I play it in early position? I frequently raise 3BB in early, and after a reraise behind me am unsuure what to do - should I lay it down in this case, or only call if it is suited? Should I muck AQo in early position, or limp in?

- What about middle/late position?
- Should I muck if a raise is ahead of me?
- Any advice postflop?

I will post some hands later, but some general advice would be really appreciated. I am playing full ring games at 25$ or 50$ NL.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Help me with AQ....

I only play 6max so ill just give my opinion for Middle/Late position.
Id open for a raise with either hand and fold to a reraise with both unless its MIN. If its raised in front of you id fold AQo mostly and Call With AQs mosty depending on table conditions. This is just because AQs is much for valuable in NL with deep stacks because you are looking to double through with the nuts.
Position is also HUGE in NL so id try and not get involved OOP.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:04 AM

Pre-flop I raise and re-raise AQ in any position (I play six max). In terms of raising I use the standard formula of 4bb +1 for each limper. With a re-raise I am normally going for 3-4 times the first raise - this works really well, if there is a caller in the middle between you and the original raiser.

When re-raised with AQ OOP I think the standard play is probably to fold- however, I think this is very read dependent - if you've got a shorty or someone who re-raises lite I'm still playing.

Preflop - when raised and re-raised before you - you should let it go every time.

Post - flop I make a standard c-bet - 3/4 to full pot - hit or not, then I'm playing poker from there.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:27 AM

How should I play it in early position? I frequently raise 3BB in early, and after a reraise behind me am unsuure what to do - should I lay it down in this case, or only call if it is suited? Should I muck AQo in early position, or limp in?

raise 4xbb +1bb per limper

- What about middle/late position?
same as EP

- Should I muck if a raise is ahead of me?

depends.if a 12/2 nit raised in EP and your in MP. fold...if a standard player 20/10 raises, call it if suited , fold unsuited...if a lag raises from EP,you can reraise him but dont do it if your not comfortable playing AQ postflop..

I frequently raise 3BB in early, and after a reraise behind me am unsuure what to do - should I lay it down in this case?

if its a small reraise..call suited or unsuited..if its a big reraise..its an easy fold..
Old 08-17-2006, 06:39 AM

At this level most preflop reraises are QQ+. I would only call a reraise with AQ if I had a specific read (or it was against a short stack).

If there's a raise in front of you then you can either reraise or call depending on the player and your position.
Some would say repop it from the blinds to take it down right then, but you have to deal with large pots oop when called.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Position is also HUGE in NL so id try and not get involved OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

unless youre sitting at a real loose/passive table:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post6950057