Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 03:47 PM

Default PL 5-card Draw Tournaments: Big two pair to pot-reraise

Just started playing a few on Pokerroom, and would like to know my moves in situations like this:

Blinds 75/150, I'm chipleader at table with 4300, Villain in BB has 2400. He had gotten out of line, potting every hand pre-draw when I got to the table, but after a few times of reraising pot with trips or big two pair against him, he seemed to tighten up.

I make it 450 UTG with QQ22x. Folds to him in the SB and he repots it to about 1400ish with 1k left behind. Is this an easy fold with less than Aces-up? Would I even fold that here?
Old 08-15-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Re: PL 5-card Draw Tournaments: Big two pair to pot-reraise

Ugly tough decision because it sounds like villain would make this move with a variety of hands that you are beating. Without a fairly precise notion of what villain's range is here (and without a 5CD PokerStove!), I'd probably relunctantly fold and find that proverbial better opportunity to bust him. This fold will probably make villain think you are a wuss and lure him into making a big blunder later.

I've found that 5CD will afford you that "better opportunity" to play a big pot against a villain when you have him crushed much more often than holdem. As I'm sure you know, even the best preflop situations in holdem pale to some of the pre-draw situations that can come up in draw.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:54 PM

Default Re: PL 5-card Draw Tournaments: Big two pair to pot-reraise

On a side note, I don't think you need to raise as much when opening in these draw tourneys. From what I understand, in Hold'em 3x the BB is often used as a standard raise as this is the minimum required to give a random hand incorrect odds to call i.e. the big blind.

In these draw tourneys (which I love by the way) a min raise is my preferred opening. Since the gap between hands is larger in 5cd you can protect your hand with just the 2x raise. You get action from weaker hands, and expose yourself to less risk when you get reraised.

Now that being said, if people are playing against you with trash hands then by all means get the money in.