Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 01:29 AM

Default NL100: Please berate me.

MP1 is unknown. MP2's a mega-nit.

I HATE being OOP. I didn't reraise PF cause I hate building big pots OOP. Please smack some sense into me SSNL.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Button ($105.55)
Hero ($111.35)
BB ($98.50)
UTG ($91.20)
UTG+1 ($73.68)
UTG+2 ($55.59)
MP1 ($158.38)
MP2 ($30.20)
MP3 ($49.50)
CO ($98.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $4.48</font>, MP2 calls $4.48, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero (poster) calls $3.98, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $3.48.

Flop: ($18.92) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $20</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls $20, UTG folds.

Turn: ($58.92) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $30</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $88.92
Old 08-13-2006, 01:35 AM

Default Re: NL100: Please berate me.

I like betting out on this flop, to find out there im at. Im not a fan of building a huge pot oop either, thats why you wanna bet into him, and get some info cheaply.

Another line could be to check call the flop, fire 30-35 and fold to a raise.

The check call, check fold line gives you no information about his hand, and is weak as hell.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:43 AM

consider a psrr pf, and hope others fold...that way you don't have to play it oop. You'd have one bet behind, and that's easy to play.

if you're going to check the flop, i would check-raise since the board is so drawy. otherwise, leading out is a good idea. Just show some strength.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:43 AM

That sounds about right to me. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:47 AM

"if you're going to check the flop, i would check-raise since the board is so drawy."

I disagree, we should never check raise this flop, if we do, were commiting our stack, and i doubt this is the spot to do it in.

Leading out or check calling with the intent to lead at pretty much any turn is the way to go.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:52 AM

Pot control is overrated, or at least misunderstood by too many people. If you have the best hand, there's nothing wrong with building a pot. Are you going to just call with A-A because you don't want the pot to grow OOP? A-K is a strong hand, one that I believe is underrated by too many players because they have a fear of missing the flop and not knowing what to do.

So MP1 raises, and MP2 just calls. There's a good chance you have a hand that dominates your opponents' ranges. If not, now's a good time to find out, since you will be OOP for the rest of the hand. Reraising is the optimal play in my opinion because it allows your opponents to make alot of mistakes while saving you from making any.

Let's say he has A-A or K-K. Well, you'll get shut out of this pot when they reraise, but is that a bad thing? If he has a smaller pair, they will (A)make the mistake of calling and letting you see a relatively cheap flop(since they won't shove) and (B) fold too often when you bet the flop and they come under the board. If they have a weaker ace and call, well you can see the trouble they are in. If they have A-K, you win the pot when you both miss.

You didn't reraise, so on to the flop. You flopped top pair, top kicker. Bet out. Get some information. Get some value for your hand if you're ahead. If MP1 puts in a big raise, its up to your judgement. Since you don't have any information, folding to a raise wouldn't be horribly weak, especially since MP2 was still an active player in the hand when the raise was made.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:04 AM

I would usually lead out, but the c/r is not a bad idea. check-raising is a better line than check-calling, and it would be wise if you believe a cbet is coming no matter what, you get to see the action behind you, and you can capture dead money in the pot from potential drawers.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:08 AM

i dont liek check raising this flop unless a VERY aggro player..

toooooo many cards that make ur hand suck
Old 08-13-2006, 04:09 AM

Dumb check call on flop. You should bet into the raiser. You have no idea where you hand stand so you have to fold on turn.

1. Reraise pot size preflop.
2. Bet on flop.
3. If you are still seeing resistance on your turn bet, check call river.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dumb check call on flop. You should bet into the raiser. You have no idea where you hand stand so you have to fold on turn.

1. Reraise pot size preflop.
2. Bet on flop.
3. If you are still seeing resistance on your turn bet, check call river.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree I messed this hand up, but if I follow your advice, I'll be pot committed on the flop. I think calling PF and betting out the flop is clearly best here.