Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 06:45 PM

Default Will melatonin help my circadian rhythm.

I currently am taking night classes from 6-9 pm and have been playing poker from about 12-5 am and then go to bed at about 6am. I am a biology major and have been doing some research about melatonin because i'm going to have to get up at noon for classes next semester and so i will need to be to sleep by about midnight or 1am. So i guess my question is should i take melatonin to try to correct my sleeping patterns or would my best bet be going to bed an hour later each day until i am sleeping at the right times. All comments appreciated.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Will melatonin help my circadian rhythm.

[ QUOTE ]
I currently am taking night classes from 6-9 pm and have been playing poker from about 12-5 am and then go to bed at about 6am. I am a biology major and have been doing research about melatonin because i'm going to have to get up at noon for classes next semester and so i will need to be to sleep by about midnight or 1am.
<font color="white"> . </font>
So i guess my question is should i take melatonin to try to correct my sleeping patterns or would my best bet be going to bed an hour later each day until i am sleeping at the right times.

[/ QUOTE ] ...Next up, David Sklansky asks the forum's help on Bayes theorem.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mickey Brausch
Old 08-12-2006, 07:07 PM

i'm a 3rd year bio student and i have done internet research and have no first hand information on the topic. The only reason i know of the stuff is that its on my test this monday.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:10 PM

Melatonin could speed the transition to a different schedule.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:26 PM

I used to take melatonin. It made me feel spaced out all the time and I had a really weird 10-15 minute lag-time/brain fog on waking, like I was still dreaming.

I'm certainly no expert, but having had chronic sleep problems (can't regulate cycle) for years I've experimented with a lot of things - I even had the whole polysomnography thing done. Your best bet in terms of adjusting your schedule is probably light management.

Obviously you only have so much control if you're out and about during the day. But try investing in a really bright daylight simulation type lamp, gradually shifting your light exposure such that you're sleeping in the dark and awake in the light. Then when you need to change cycles you can do it by altering the times you're exposed to light.

I'm not sure if you're playing poker online or at a card room, if it's the latter you mightn't have much control - but light is probably the biggest factor in sleep regulation as best I can tell.

I know Rduke is a brain expert, maybe he can correct/clarify that.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:40 PM

I've tried it, I noticed no difference or benefit. I've struggled with insomnia, specifically falling asleep, for the last 10 years (I'm 23).

So far, I've been through Rozerem, Lunesta (both are effective for about 10-15 days), Melatonin, Valerian Root, Diphenhydramine (through various products) and Xanax (works nicely, but with classical side effects).

For me, the only thing that works effectively is a clear conscious coupled with a hard day's work (or some kind of strenuous physical activity at some point during the day).
Old 08-12-2006, 07:56 PM

Melatonin is one of the major chemicals produced by the brain to modulate circadian rhythms and its release is affected by light exposure. That's why melatonin works for some people having trouble getting on a schedule.

Light is the most powerful modulator of circadian rhythms. So much of an animal's lifestyle is associated with different light cues that evolution has equipped us really well to pick up on those.

That said, paying attention to light is probably a great place for OP to start - even before melatonin pills. And if he has time I love the gradual moving of bedtime combined with the light thing.

Reasons for problems sleeping and getting on a sleep schedule vary between people and what might work for one person may have less of an effect on another.

And you're correct that he's screwed if he's in front of a computer screen. It's more than enough to screw up the rhythm.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to take melatonin. It made me feel spaced out all the time and I had a really weird 10-15 minute lag-time/brain fog on waking, like I was still dreaming.

I'm certainly no expert, but having had chronic sleep problems (can't regulate cycle) for years I've experimented with a lot of things - I even had the whole polysomnography thing done. Your best bet in terms of adjusting your schedule is probably light management.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here, it worked like a dream but I was dopey for ages the next day. Not a good plan for an exam or anything important.

The solution for me was to give up the day job. Now I sleep when I'm tired and follow no cycles. I can't begin to explain the benefit to my life (you probably know what I mean) by not having to be awake when I want to be asleep and not having to go to bed and try to get to sleep when I'm wide awake.

chez
Old 08-12-2006, 08:26 PM

so the light from a computer screen is enough to throw off your rhythm?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so the light from a computer screen is enough to throw off your rhythm?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's way more than enough.