Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 12:23 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default Do you bet the nut flush draw?

$.50-1 party and/or stars. flop comes two suited with one low card, typical 5-7 maybe all ten see the flop. Do you bet this draw? I usually do but it doesn't seem to work out very well. I typically get shown a runner runner low and/or a boat and then there is the normal % of times when the flush doesn't get there. I am more comfortable betting it when I have other draws or backdoor potential of my own.

I wanted to ask about this because it is often difficult for me to determine if something is unprofitable or I am just experiencing varience or selective memory.

What is the best way to run a simulation so I don't have to keep bothering you all with questions?
Old 08-12-2006, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Do you bet the nut flush draw?

Exactly, only bet it when you have other draws.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:52 PM

A flop bet isn't much more than a semi-bluff, even with the NLD. Without help (top 2/set/OESD/wrap) this is a hand you want to keep a bunch of people in, imagine if a low suited card comes off on the turn & it's still a 5-7 way pot.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:38 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

Thanks;

I am almost a breakeven player now. Still a loser but getting better. I lose much slower than before and sometimes have a winning session. PTO was in the green for a day or two.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:30 PM

You should if you have a nut low draw as well. You have nothing to lose except a few BB if you qet quartered with the reasonable expectation of Scooping or at least quartering your opponents. It's extremely satisifying when your opponents with second best or worse hands call you down to the river.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:06 AM

You have good equity against 4 decent random hands. However, if you bet and get called only by a wrap and a set, you are in deep doodoo. This seems to be a case where you don't want to bet because you are only called by opponents with more equity than you have. If there is no chance that you can fold everyone out, I wouldn't bet this. I sure won't call two cold.

The link to a simulation follows.

Effen

http://www.propokertools.com/simulator/s...25&h5=30%25
Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 AM

I was asking about betting out on the flop. Say there are six players and it is checked to you in middle posistion?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:41 AM

I think if you bet, and its the table where everyone will call, you should bet. If I can get 6 people who will all call when I have the nutflush draw, do it.

OR, if you bet, and everyone will fold, then bet.

Otherwise, check. Whether or not I call a bet after me is determined by how many other people call and what, if any, redraws do I have.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$.50-1 party and/or stars. flop comes two suited with one low card, typical 5-7 maybe all ten see the flop. Do you bet this draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming 5-7 players

EP - check/call keep an eye on your odds you can call more than one bet if you are getting close to 1:4 to 1:5, a little less if people pay with flushes on the board

MP - call one bet, maybe two depending on the players and the board and the size of the pot

LP - bet this frequently, except at the tightest of tables

You need to keep re-evaluating as you go along, if the board pairs, you'll need to slow down nearly everytime at this level (and the board will pair frequently (about the same odds as your flush getting there on the turn and greater odds than the flush getting there on the river) or if an obvious str8 is made you need to 1:4 or 1:5 to call to see the river

(These are guestimates on your odds...but they should be fairly close, you can get somewhat looser if the players pay with flushes on the board)