Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 06:19 AM

Default 25/50 at the husler. top two pair.

25/50 live. i'm on the button with kq off. 2 limpers call and i raise. the big blind and both limpers call. the flop is kq6 (2 diamonds). i bet, everyone calls. the turn is a ten. the big blind bets out. both limpers fold. now what? he is not a very good player, however, if i'm him, i'm betting out with aj and j9. maybe i can get in a 3 bet. trying for a check raise doesn't make sense because he would hate for it to get checked around and also he has 2 players he would be shutting out. i doubt he would semi-bluff with 4 players and a very scary board. so again, i put him on a straight, a pair of kings, or maybe q,10. with that i said, i just call intending to probably raise the river. the third diamond comes on the river and he bets again. i just call. he had k2. i feel like i missed a bet somewhere. but where? the guy next to me who is a good solid player, insisted that i should've raised the turn. i disagree. i think he folds a weak pair or 3 bets a straight. isn't this a classic way ahead / way behind situation? i also don't see how i can raise the river when the third diamond falls. what are your thoughts?
Old 08-08-2006, 07:50 AM

Default Re: 25/50 at the husler. top two pair.

Raising the river when the third diamond comes is great, because it means that you can easily fold to a 3bet.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:38 AM

River a paragraph.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:45 AM

this is not a way ahead/way behind situation. raise the turn
Old 08-08-2006, 11:39 AM

A not very good player can have lots of hands on the turn with which he'll pay off a raise: Q-J; K-T; K-6; Q-T; T-6; two diamonds (with or without a pair). Even with one pair he may put you on a diamond draw.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A not very good player can have lots of hands on the turn with which he'll pay off a raise: Q-J; K-T; K-6; Q-T; T-6; two diamonds (with or without a pair). Even with one pair he may put you on a diamond draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are 3 bet on the turn, are you then calling down? if even one of the other players would have called, i would have definitely raised the turn. why don't you like waiting to raise the river now that it is heads up? is it because there are too many bad cards that can hit?

also, if we were playing no-limit instead, would it be correct to just call the turn?
Old 08-08-2006, 03:54 PM

"if you are 3 bet on the turn, are you then calling down?"

Yes.

"Why don't you like waiting to raise the river now that it is heads up? is it because there are too many bad cards that can hit?"

Yes. Not just bad cards but cards that might scare him into checking.

"also, if we were playing no-limit instead, would it be correct to just call the turn?"

I'm strictly a limit player.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he is not a very good player, however, if i'm him, i'm betting out with aj and j9.

[/ QUOTE ]

always remember that your opponents do not play the same as you. in fact, you should hope that they play far worse.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:05 AM

I think this is an easy turn raise. BB has a wide range of hands he could be betting here. Yes, something like AJ is a possibility, but top pair, QT, or even QJ are just as likely. I think most players who bet the turn with hands like that pay off your raise with the hands you beat, and you will only be behind a small percentage of the time.

Also, playing the big streets as passively as you did makes you fairly easy to read.

Just my opinion...