Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 10:18 AM

Default Low limit SNG strategies - how many are out there?

The strategy advised here on 2p2 suggests to play tight early and pushbotting when Hero is down to 10xBB (that's it).

Very often in the low limits I spot players who seem to have some clue of the game but are making weird calls/pushes.

Are there other known strategies for STTs? Are there other sites/forums that suggest to play the game in a different way (other than donkitup.com)?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Low limit SNG strategies - how many are out there?

I think it's likely that these players you mentioned may have read a book or two and have some idea what to do, but they won't work on their game like the people at 2+2, and I imagine their understanding of the game is pretty shallow, which leads them to make these mistakes.

The strategy you outlined is spot on, if a little general. You can however you can stray from it slightly, for example limping to try and see some cheap flops early on, I like this if I think my opponents are passive/weak post flop. Plus the total donks will give up their money quickly so sometimes it's a good idea to put yourself in a position to get it.

Why play any other way, if you keep making +EV moves and minimize your mistakes you're going to be a winning player. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. I very much doubt any sound players would advocate a strategy which didn't closely resemble the one at 2+2.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:37 AM

I thought i was an excellent SNG player before i came to 2+2. Well, i could play better than your average SNG donk, cause i knowed how to play tight. But that was pretty much it, i knew how to play tight. I think there are alot of players of varying skill, it's not black and white (pushbot - donkey).

The play this forum recommends isn't really a strategy. It's quite simply the correct way to play SNG:s the way they look now. If everyone but me was super tight at a table, i would gain EV by loosening up my open-raising range. But the SNGs most people play in are full of loose players and therefore the "strategy" is to play tight early.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that from the options you have every time action is on you, you can choose only 1. And the "strategy" taught here (most oftenly) is simply picking the right decision. This happens to mean often being tight early and pushing alot later on.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:57 AM

Oh I wasn't searching for a different approach to this game for me. I just want to get into Villain's head.

And "that's it" was sarcasm.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:03 AM

Stear clear of the pushbot strategies etc

I use the fishermans proverb, yes u can pushbot and make ok earn but if u learn how to, you know, play poker... u can make a lot more =)
Old 08-08-2006, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very often in the low limits I spot players who seem to have some clue of the game but are making weird calls/pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chances are that you're just not very good at recognizing who is good and who isn't. Don't worry, you aren't alone.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:07 AM

The other "strategies" basically revolve around different player profiles or player types rather than a strategy a la what folks on this forum advocate. There are tight passive players who try to squeek into the money, LAGs who want to build a big stack early or go home, etc.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chances are that you're just not very good at recognizing who is good and who isn't. Don't worry, you aren't alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why play any other way, if you keep making +EV moves and minimize your mistakes you're going to be a winning player. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just because you have a 8% ROI with a tight appraoch, doesn't mean that there isn't another approach that might offer 13%. Sure, you could be just fine with 8%, but it wouldn't be bad to look around for the 13% path, would it?

I'm not saying there is a better path for multi-tabling than that advocated by most players here. But, I imagine a great player, trying to maximize ROI while playing one or two tables at a time would take an approach different from what is advocated here for multi-tablers. Of course, those players could probably makes lots more money in some ring games, but that's not the point.

Besides, the pushbot appraoch is pretty boring and doesn't feel like real poker (whatever that is) or look like the poker we see on TV. Maybe there is a more exciting way to play that offers the same return?

I get the impression from Durron's posts over the winter, that he has been successful taking a slightly different (more active) approach to SNGs. Maybe he'll chime in.