Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 12:35 AM

Default FSN PokerDome August 6: GEORGI (spoiler)

One of the technicians involved in the FSN PokerDome production, known to RGP as "VeeRob", gave RGP the heads-up for the August 6 episode of PokerDome.

"VeeRob" said to pay attention to "seat 6", a Bulgarian named Georgi (pronounced YOR-ghee) Bulev who has a grand total of 3 months of experience with online poker.

This is either comedy at its best or at its worst, depending on your point of view...
Old 08-07-2006, 03:26 AM

Default Re: FSN PokerDome August 6: GEORGI (spoiler)

Anyone who doubts the huge role of luck in tournament poker should consider that this guy apparently made it through a very large field to qualify for the TV table, despite lacking the skills to seriously compete in $5 SNGs.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:20 AM

Aren't the fields about 600 for these Mansion events?

I didn't watch much of the Mansion event yet, but I did see the guy fold a hand checked to him on the turn (he had called $1,000 with 7-3o) and he had that look one of the Brady kids had when they looked into the camera.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't the fields about 600 for these Mansion events?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know, but I'm pretty sure I've heard Konik hyping the players by saying they had to "battle their way through thousands of online qualifiers", or something melodramatic like that.

In any event, this guy must have been on the heater of the century.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 AM

From Mansion Poker's site:

[ QUOTE ]
We run four Poker Dome Freeroll Satellites every day Monday to Saturday, and three more each Sunday. The top six players from each of these 27 freeroll satellites play in our weekly final: the “Poker Dome Qualifier”.
All available Poker Dome seats (at least two) for that week will be given to the top finishers of the Poker Dome Qualifier.

Please Note: We are currently limiting the number of players in each satellite to 600

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess there's "thousands" but after they make their satellite, the field after that looks to be about 150.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:39 AM

I really like his play of the big blind. If you are called and don't like your hand just fold pre-flop that way there is no risk of hitting part of the flop and getting in trouble. I should write a poker book.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:07 AM

Georgi had to:

1. Finish in the top 6 out of 1000 in his first heat

2. Finish in the top 2 out of about 150 in his second heat

The only explanation: he bet the minimum after the flop and his opponents kept bluffing into him, allowing him to get a big stack early and often
Old 08-07-2006, 12:11 PM

This was the first time I lol'd at a poker show in a long time.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:01 PM

My theory about Georgi Bulev:

Someone other than Georgi actually played the 2 online tournaments, and then gave (or sold) the free trip to Vegas to Georgi. Most probable explanation is that the actual online player was an underaged relative or friend, or someone who could not make the trip or leave the country for some reason.

I refuse to believe that someone that clueless could actually make it to the final table in a field of 1250-2000 in the satellite, and then win the qualifier. He folded his cards in his unraised big blind at least 10 times, would play trash cards after a raise one hand, and then fold ATo preflop with no raise in a six handed game the next hand.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My theory about Georgi Bulev:

Someone other than Georgi actually played the 2 online tournaments, and then gave (or sold) the free trip to Vegas to Georgi. Most probable explanation is that the actual online player was an underaged relative or friend, or someone who could not make the trip or leave the country for some reason.

I refuse to believe that someone that clueless could actually make it to the final table in a field of 1250-2000 in the satellite, and then win the qualifier. He folded his cards in his unraised big blind at least 10 times, would play trash cards after a raise one hand, and then fold ATo preflop with no raise in a six handed game the next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the good of poker and to keep my hope alive that I can one day build a fat bankroll, I HAVE to believe this explanation.