Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2006, 04:56 PM

Default OT: Turbos vs regulars

Everyone seems to have their prefference, and most people seem to play only one or the other. I am curious as to why people play one over the other. Obviously blinds go up quicker in turbos, but what attributes must one have to do well at these games that is different from the regulars? Essentially what I am trying to say I guess is, what is the difference in strategy between turbos and regulars, and why do people like one over the other (if any reasons besides for time of game and blind escalation). Sorry if this is a dumb question, and I'm sure its been asked before, but I can't seem to get the search option to work for me, just searching turbo comes up with nothing, oh well. Let me know guys, thanks.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:58 PM

Default Re: OT: Turbos vs regulars

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone seems to have their prefference, and most people seem to play only one or the other. I am curious as to why people play one over the other. Obviously blinds go up quicker in turbos, but what attributes must one have to do well at these games that is different from the regulars? Essentially what I am trying to say I guess is, what is the difference in strategy between turbos and regulars, and why do people like one over the other (if any reasons besides for time of game and blind escalation). Sorry if this is a dumb question, and I'm sure its been asked before, but I can't seem to get the search option to work for me, just searching turbo comes up with nothing, oh well. Let me know guys, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play turbos because I have a short attention span.

Having to play regulars until PP fixes the *()&@#@(*& button problem is killing me.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:01 PM

I don't like playing flops.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:10 PM

Turbos move faster so you can earn more $/hr.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:34 PM

When multitabling, it's easier to play a mathematical pushbot strategy that goes along with turbos/speeds, than it is to try to play "poker" at 8 tables.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:35 PM

Speed SnGs = >$/Hr
Old 08-05-2006, 06:01 PM

Thank you everyone who has replied so far. Dano, I think that your answer in particular is exactly what I was looking for. While I do feel that I have good postflop skills, when it gets late in sngs I like to push a lot. Therefore I think that turbos would better suit me. Obviously the more $/hour with the turbos would be great, but I guess now i need to see if I'm actually any good at them, especially because I am not as of yet an accomplished multitabler.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:11 PM

General strategy for the turbos, is it similar to the regulars, tight early very agressive when blinds get bigger? Or is it better to try and see a lot of cheap flops early and double up? Either way I know I'm getting very agressive with high blinds, but not sure what to do before then. Any advice would be appreciated of course. Thank you.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When multitabling, it's easier to play a mathematical pushbot strategy that goes along with turbos/speeds, than it is to try to play "poker" at 8 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

screw whether or not something is "easier", $$/hr is the bottom line. only thing that compromises this is future EV concerining learning new things, etc for playing higher levels in the future.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:24 PM

The turbo is basically the same game as the regular, it just goes faster. So, if you would make a certain move in a regular SNG, you almost always make the same move in a speed SNG under the same circumstances because the math doesn't change. Your ROI at the turbos will be slightly lower because the donks have less time to knock each other out and give you their chips, but this is more than offset by the number you can play per hour.