Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2006, 03:25 AM

Default Sac fly question...

In my softball game tonight, I was playing RF. Man on second. Fly ball hit right between me and RC. He calls me off at the last second, ball pops off his glove, and I bobble it several times before finally hanging on for the catch. By the time I'd secured it, the runner was well on his way to third. I fired it toward home, knowing that I couldn't double him off because he was entitled to leave the base as soon as one of us had simply touched the ball, even though it wasn't secured yet.

The question now: I joked with my teammates that this was the "Jack Clark rule", because I thought I remembered reading that he was involved in a play (late 70's??) where this rule was applied. I tried searching various Google combinations to find a reference to this, and nothing... Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Sac fly question...

I believe once it hits the outfielders glove, whether he catches it or not, the runner can advance.

Otherwise, the outfielder would keep popping it up and down in his glove and run in to the infield to make sure the runner doesn't advance.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:16 AM

PHB is right
Old 08-05-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe once it hits the outfielders glove, whether he catches it or not, the runner can advance.

Otherwise, the outfielder would keep popping it up and down in his glove and run in to the infield to make sure the runner doesn't advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read his post again.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read his post again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, my bad. I don't know what this illegal play is called. And while we're at it, who cares? That isn't really threadworthy. Something happened once in the 70's. A rule was made to change it. Now it can't happen again.

The good news is that the players on your team didn't know what the rule was called, so I'm sure they were mightilly impressed that you knew it was the "Jack Clark rule", rightfully so or not. I think it is just called the "sac fly rule".