Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 06:04 AM

Default Crypto 30K guar. 100$buy-in, QQ in SB facing all-in!

Blinds are 75/150

I'm in the SB with QQ, have around 2800 (starting stack is 2000), the guy from late middle position pushes all-in for 2500? No reads, don't know him, been recently moved to my table!

Would you call or not?

For me this play looks donkish if you have AA or KK, my take is he has either total crap, A something or most probably pairs from 5s to 10s and wants no flop?

This is one scenario I constantly have problems with, and I always donk it on these middle stages with relatively small blinds!
Old 08-12-2006, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Crypto 30K guar. 100$buy-in, QQ in SB facing all-in!

No takers on this one, I wanted some advice from experienced players is this an insta call or you fold because it's not worth the risk?
Old 08-12-2006, 12:55 PM

Call, his range is huge, and even if his range is fairly small[TT+,AQ+] you are still ahead of his range. If his range is [55+,A8+] You are a HUGE favorite.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:04 PM

I would call. For me to lay down QQ preflop, I have to be pretty sure I'm beaten. This guy's range includes a lot of hands you're way ahead of here.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:05 PM

Yeah I thought exactly the same and DID call he overturned AQ and hit an A on the flop?

My question is not so much related to the fact wheter I'm ahead or not (I was absolutely sure I was ahead) but should you fold this simply for the sake of not gambling so early in the tournament and wait for spots with more info?

Even vs. A crap you are going to bust out 30% of the time?
Old 08-12-2006, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I was absolutely sure I was ahead

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should call every time.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:10 PM

There is a thread in the anthology about "How much of an edge are good players willing to pass up early," or something along those lines. It's a good read, you should take a look. But in that thread Greg Raymer says something along the lines of - Nobody is good enough to pass up a 60/40 early on, and if they do they aren't a top player. That's not an exact quote, but he said something like that. This is much better than a 60/40, and you absolutely cannot pass it up.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is not so much related to the fact wheter I'm ahead or not (I was absolutely sure I was ahead) but should you fold this simply for the sake of not gambling so early in the tournament and wait for spots with more info?

Even vs. A crap you are going to bust out 30% of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WTF ASLLJASDFLJHASDJFHKJFHSKDAJFLASHFLASDFL
HAS NOBODY LEARNED ANYTHING
Old 08-12-2006, 01:36 PM

Yeah, I'm not so sure about this, I keep busting out while being constantly ahead, I make pretty good reads (it's not that I'm just shoving AA or KK, I just make good reads playerwise) and it turns out crap more often than not.

I read an article from Ariston on Betfair where he mentions even folding AA to reraise or heavy action. Disclaimer: he was refering to situations on FTs of online satellites to big offline events where difference between 5th and 4th is the difference between 10K package and nothing, but I'm beginning to wonder should that be applied to early middle stages?
Old 08-12-2006, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm not so sure about this, I keep busting out while being constantly ahead, I make pretty good reads (it's not that I'm just shoving AA or KK, I just make good reads playerwise) and it turns out crap more often than not.

I read an article from Ariston on Betfair where he mentions even folding AA to reraise or heavy action. Disclaimer: he was refering to situations on FTs of online satellites to big offline events where difference between 5th and 4th is the difference between 10K package and nothing, but I'm beginning to wonder should that be applied to early middle stages?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO