Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 01:37 PM

Default ANOTHER workout question

Yes, sorry another one. I'm not asking you guys to teach me how to lift though, I've been going to the gym regularly for about 6 months, and I'm in good shape...about 5'4 145, mostly muscle.

Recently though, I've gotten a new job and haven't been able to keep my same routine, as I have less time. Basically, there are weeks where I may have to sacrifice certain parts of my routine...and I'm wondering which parts I should "neglect". I put this in quotes, because eventually I'll have a free period of time where I can cover that body part again, but there are busy periods where I just can't.

My main objective is to tone my body up, however my arms are not nearly as toned as I'd like. My body is pretty big already, so I don't want to bulk up too much anymore, besides my arms.

So, ramble ramble, When my time is limited, should I be neglecting to do squats/deadlifts, and work on my arms, or should I focus less on my arms and consistently do squats/deadlifts? Again, these are all covered in my regular routine, but there are some days/weeks where I can't get to all of it.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: ANOTHER workout question

always get in the core lifts for each body part and you will be fine. The ancillary lifts are just that - ancillary.

You could just squat, dead lift, bench and you would be fine. Throwing in shoulder presses and some others are good too.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:46 PM

Are your busy/slow periods planned? Will you know in advanced when you will be able to concentrate, or is it random? Id have a normal routine like you are sticking to now, and then a "backup" routine, something like meltdown training from T-nation, that works your whole body (somewhat), every workout for when you are busy. Its what I tend to do during summer when Im traveling and busy etc.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:35 PM

I wouldn't neglect any one part...just do a little less overall. For example, if you can only make it to the gym 2 times one week instead of the 4 you usually do(I just assumed 4, I don't know for sure), then just squeeze everything into those two workouts. You'll have to do supersets(back to back exercises that stress different muscles with little rest in between) to make up some time, but you can still get a pretty good workout in less than 20 minutes really. Sample:

Day 1(Chest, tris, bis, quads)
Bench press
dumbell curls
squats
tricep extensions

REST FOR A MINUTE

inclined bench press
preacher curls
lunges
closed grip bench press

REST FOR A MINUTE

declined bench press
barbell curls
box jumps
tricep extension with dumbell

DAY 2(back, shoulders, hamstrings, calves)

Lat pull down
hamstring curls
shoulder press

REST FOR A MINUTE

pull ups
calf raises
shoulder flys

REST FOR A MINUTE

chin ups
hamstring curls
lateral raises
calf raises

Of course with such few sets you'll need to be very intense to take advantage of the little time you have. If you post more specifically what your schedule looks like it might be easier.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could just squat, dead lift, bench and you would be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-09-2006, 04:48 PM

I would throw in hammer curls and, of course, abs. But you can superset those with the squats, deads and bench, so it wouldn't add any more time.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would throw in hammer curls and, of course, abs. But you can superset those with the squats, deads and bench, so it wouldn't add any more time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to do curls for the girls, don't do hammer curls (because they are retarded and useless), do barbell or EZ curls.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:33 PM

if i wanted to tone out my abs and had the same time constraints as OP, what should i do? (besides squat, deadlift, bench) something along the lines of captain's chair and bicycle crunch?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:45 PM

If you are pressed for time, just cut down the number of sets from each exercise. Most of the benefit is in the first set.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are pressed for time, just cut down the number of sets from each exercise. Most of the benefit is in the first set.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf