Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 04:25 PM

Default hand ranges, bluffing frequences: a preflop example

I've been delving deep into bluffing frequences,lately, trying to find optimal bluff frequencies in certain situations. Hopefully, I get some good feedback from this post. I'm using a preflop example (although I think this is much more useful postflop) because its just alot easier.
Both hero and UTG have 20 bb stacks
UTG opens 3x bb to 300 w/ range of 77+,AJ+
Folds to hero (BB) who pushes w/ range of QQ+,AK
UTG calls with JJ+, AK meaning 54% of the time hero wins T450 and 46% hero has an expected value of T270.
Now throw 67suited and 87suited into the mix meaning hero is pushing 25% more often. Now when called hero stand to lose T270 chips, but wins T450 25% more. Obviously, the first range holds up better against his range. (although i'm not sure it's true because throwing in those hands might signifigantly widen his range)
However, as you throw more suited connectors into your range your range has more EV. (it seems almost to be a paradox) Anyways, sometimes tonight I'll give an example of an extremely wider range for hero because I have to leave right now.

Do most of you agree with my assumption or do you find my math/reasoning flawed??