Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Harrington #3, Problem 19, a few questions for you

Harrington On Holdem #3, Problem 19.

Late in the first day of a major tournament. Allen C. in the BB has a stack of 4,400, only an M of 4. The blinds are 200/400 with a 50 ante, and you have 18,000 chips on the button and an M of 16.

Your hand : 7h 7s

Gus Hansen opens the pot from the hijack, for 1,300. Against Gus being loose, Harrington advocates a call.

How do you feel about making this call, with the BB having an M of 4?

That's not the interesting part...what is is that after the call, Allen pushes in, and gus calls! If Gus folded i see this being a pretty easy call, as it's more than likely a race. But with Gus calling, and Allen not being too desperate (after all, there is a raise and a call in front of him, so he knows he'll probably be called) he should have a better than average hand. If you put him on two overcards, and gus with at least one different overcard, then the 4:1 you're getting for calling seems like a good idea...but would you make this call? It seems like short of flopping a set of sevens you will have no idea where you stand, and do you really feel like playing for all your chips with just a pair of sevens? What are you guys' thoughts on this?
Old 08-05-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Harrington #3, Problem 19, a few questions for you

Call foo', pot odds.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Harrington #3, Problem 19, a few questions for you

Yes i know the pot odds are there, my question was is it really worth it to do this in a tournament? Pot odds only goes so far, the same reason they say don't chase draws in tourneys...i was just wondering b/c 87% of the time you won't improve on the flop, and you KNOW Gus Hansen is going to bet, so how comfortable are you going to feel calling down/raising with an underpair, when he raised preflop, got moved in on, and called a raise and then starts betting the flop?