Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2006, 08:02 PM

Default Film Review: Beautiful Girls

THis is a good coming of age Dramtic comedy with good to great performances from a very strong cast.

We see Timothy Hutton's character(Willy Conway) come back home for his 10 year reunion, but also come back to his working class town to rediscover himself. He is a man at a crossroads in his life. A piano player that hasn't made it, and unsure of whether or not the woman he is with right now is the one he wants to marry. His coming back to his home for the first time since his mom passed away is how he wants to go about it. He reconnects with his old friends and finds a kindred soul in the form of his 13 year old neighbor(natalie portman doing a great job in one of her first films), and it is through them that he starts to figure out where he wants to take the rest of his life. You sort of get the feeling that he is a man who feels like he has in some ways wasted his 20s, but doesn't neccessarily regret how things have gone

In his friends you have a motley crue of people. You have the former highschool main man and all of the friends kinda revlove around him. Matt Dillion's character still lives a bit in his high school glory while trying to come to terms with the fact that he is now 28 and hasn't done what he intended to do in life. He is still seeing his high school sweetheart, but the both of them are in relationships with other people, thus creating painful situations for all four of those involved(her husband and Matt Dillion's girlfriend). They are trying to reconcile that former fantasy world of high school with the current real life.

The two people that give extrodinary performaces are Natalie Portman and Micheal Rappaport. With Portman, you have this 13 year old girl who is much wise beyond her years and has a deeper understanding of life that most twice her age don't have. She is quick witted and can relate to adults, but not in such a way that it prevents her from having friends her age. Micheal Rappaport is that guy that is around. He is grossly obsessed with models, and unattainable women in general. He thinks he gets it, but he really doesn't, and that fault in him prevents him from really having normal relationships with women. He provides great line after great line and makes you laugh a lot.

What I really like about this film is that you don't feel that you are completely watching a film, but peering into these people's lives for a short time. There is a level of comfort in them, and you are watching them at some of their most vulnerable. This film also proves that sometimes, you can come home again too, but, you want to use home more as a quick stopping point to rejuvinate you

overall: a solid 4
rewatchability: once ever couple of months. I find myself realizing new things after every time I see it, whether it be in the movie, or things about myself. Generally, you just feel good having watched it

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

OOT Filmography
Old 01-22-2006, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Film Review: Beautiful Girls

For such a good movie, that dvd cover totally blows.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Kinda wondering why Natalie Portman isn't on it. This movie is required in all pedophile homes.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. THe cover kinda screams lame movie, which this is far from
Old 01-23-2006, 04:29 AM

Well, you got me interested in seeing it.

I agree that having Rosie O'Donnell as the main focal point of the DVD cover is a terrifically bad way to sell a movie.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:52 AM

I'm looking at the four girls on the cover, and my brain won't stop singing that Sesame Street song, "One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just isn't the same..."

Unfortunately, when my brain is not singing that, I can hear in the background, "sweeeeeeet Caroline, BAH BAH BAH! Good times never felt so good!"