Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 10:45 PM

Default 3 way pot ; short stacked bettor

WPEX 5/10 (4 handed)

The game is aggressive with lots of stealing and restealing.

Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop: CO folds, BTN raises, hero 3 bets, BB caps, BTN calls, hero calls. (12 sb)

BB was AGRO enough to cap many hands here to try to get it HU. BTN is getting short on chips and may be looking to stack off..

Flop: [8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (12 sb)
Hero checks, BB checks, BTN bets, hero calls, BB calls.

BTN has only $8 left after betting, should I have raised him to get rid of BB?

I was worried BB might be pulling off some tricky check raise, but I called because I thought it was unlikely enough and I had a good overlay from the pot.

Turn: [8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (7.5 bb)
Hero checks, BB checks, BTN bets his last $8, hero...

Edit: I had "CO" where I meant "BTN".

Old 08-01-2006, 12:00 AM

Default Re: 3 way pot ; short stacked bettor

I'm thinking that all 8bbs already belong to BTN on this one.. The fact that he's shortstacked suggests nothing more than the possibility that he's overplaying a weak hand, but I assume that atleast 1 of these guys has you beat. BB is quite possibly holding AQ or 99, JJ, QQ and BTN could be easily have a K, a better Ace, or ANY pocket pair..

Then again, I wouldn't be 3betting AJo from the SB in the games I play. I tend to stay away from aggressive games "with lots of stealing and restealing".
Old 08-01-2006, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then again, I wouldn't be 3betting AJo from the SB in the games I play. I tend to stay away from aggressive games "with lots of stealing and restealing".

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I get for playing at a rake free site...

Seriously though, I think you are right that calling does not look attractive although we are getting a "discount".

But what about RAISING? This looks alot like a typical "7 card stud" raise with a 2nd best hand to knock out the third guy in the pot. We have the added bonus that this raise is FREE when it works!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:25 AM

Okay but you're getting no implied odds if you do happen to hit a queen PLUS the possibility that a flop-raise is just pumping more bets into the pot for BB who may be ahead of you. I kinda think you got yourself into a mess because of your preflop play.

I'd be interested to hear somebody else's opinion on preflop though. Like I said, I don't play in games like this, but I still can't imagine AJo should be 3bet from the sb UNLESS this guy has a very wide button range and generally sucks post-flop. The combined possibility of being dominated + the chance that BB likes his hand and joins in makes this a fold for me.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to stay away from aggressive games "with lots of stealing and restealing".

[/ QUOTE ]

Im curious how you actually find these games or do so as it would seem to prohibit someone from learning new parts of a game, esp one that will be v crucial as one moves up.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I kinda think you got yourself into a mess because of your preflop play.

I'd be interested to hear somebody else's opinion on preflop though. Like I said, I don't play in games like this, but I still can't imagine AJo should be 3bet from the sb UNLESS this guy has a very wide button range and generally sucks post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this a extremely standard 3 bet in virtually all 6 handed games?
Old 08-01-2006, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this a extremely standard 3 bet in virtually all 6 handed games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for me? Maybe thats just my low-ish 17% PFR though?

Now I'm really interested [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 07:38 AM

i dont know buttons stats/tendencies but i think its a normal SB-3bet vs a button steal.
for the hand: if i would have seen how BB plays and think he could be folding AQ/lowish-middle PP to a flop raise than i would raise the flop (since BU is short). otherwise i fold the turn with the preflop capper to act behind me.