Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 10:23 PM

Default making big calls verse ranked pros

this is from the 40k guaranteed earlier tonight. $109 buy-in close to 900 entrants down to 300ish.

Directly to my right is a ranked online pro and im sure he knows that i play decent since we just final tabled a super tourney recently. i think he thinks of me as a tricky, loose, but decent player if that makes sense. i have been pretty active also in the last few orbits. i had raised him out of a few pots preflop with big hands. table overall has been weak and limping preflop has been common.

we both have about averagish stacks in the 10K range. blinds of 200/400.

Folded to villian in MP and he limps. Im directly to his left and also call with pocket 4's. folded to the BB who checks. flop is (5,5,3) with 2 hearts and I dont have one. BB checks, villian bets 800 into a 1400 pot.. I knew he was going to bet. I raised to 2400, BB folds and villian insta-pushes for like 7K ish more.

I called expecting to see 2 overs, maybe flush or straight draws. With distinct possiblity of a higher pocket like 55-99, but didn't think he would take that line with his push with those holdings.

He ended up having pocket 3's. I rarely make plays of this nature and am wondering was what you all thought. thanks.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:05 PM

Default Re: making big calls verse ranked pros

please someone tell me how donkish this move is or isn't.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:56 AM

I think that he knew when he pushed that you thought he was making a move on you. tough spot. I think you need to fold there and not necessarily try to be a hero. You'd still have 7000 chips. He also could be limping with something like 56s. Just a consideration. It's a tough spot but if you are familiar with each other he is not going to push there without anything that doesn't beat 44. Hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:02 AM

easy fold.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:52 AM

Overs prolly just calls. Gotta let it go, you have a decent stack with position on the most dangerous player at the table (presumably)