Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:24 PM

Default Israel\'s Attack on UN base

Kofi Annan has demonstrated yet again the bias nature of the United Nations. On Tuesday two 1000lb bombs hit a UN observer post in southern Lebanon, killing 4 UN observers. It took kofi annan only a few minutes to come out and declare this accident an intentional attack on the UN.

Below is a an exert from an email sent by Canadian Major Paeta Hess-von Kruedener just days before he and 3 other UN observers were killed by IAF airstrikes
[ QUOTE ]
This is all the information of a non-tactical nature that I can provide you. I cannot give you any info on Hezbollah position, proximity or the amount of or types of sorties the IAF is currently flying. Suffice to say that the activity levels and operational tempo of both parties is currently very high and continuous, with short breaks or pauses. Please understand the nature of my job here is to be impartial and to report violations from both sides without bias. As an Unarmed Military Observer, this is my raison d'etre.
What I can tell you is this: we have on a daily basis had numerous occasions where our position has come under direct or indirect fire from both artillery and aerial bombing. The closest artillery has landed within 2 meters of our position and the closest 1000 lb aerial bomb has landed 100 meters from our patrol base. This has not been deliberate targeting, but has rather been due to tactical necessity.

[/ QUOTE ]
link
The last line says it all. According to Major General Lewis McKenzie, former head of Nato’s operation in Serbia and Kosovo, the last sentence of the paragraph is military code for Hizboalla has taken over our base and is using it to launch missiles. (sorry no link for this, it was taken from the july 27th print issue of the National Post)

I think it is very clear that if the UN allows Hezbollah fighters to use the base for cover to launch attacks then the United Nations has lost all impartiality in the conflict and the base becomes a clear war target. Furthermore if the base is taken over by force and the UN observers don’t leave, they have taken sides in the conflict and they themselves become targets.

Now I don’t actually believe major Hess-von Kruedner supported the Hezbollah logistically or even morally. His death was a tragedy of war, nothing else. To say otherwise is a lie.

per previous lockings please use existing threads to continue discussion - [censored]
Old 07-28-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Israel\'s Attack on UN base

Should a judge let off a person who killed another while driving drunk and just chalk it up as an accident? We put people in jail for that kind of stuff. It's called negligent homicide*.

edit: *or reckless endangerment/depraved indifference.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kofi Annan has demonstrated yet again the bias nature of the United Nations. On Tuesday two 1000lb bombs hit a UN observer post in southern Lebanon, killing 4 UN observers. It took kofi annan only a few minutes to come out and declare this accident an intentional attack on the UN.

Below is a an exert from an email sent by Canadian Major Paeta Hess-von Kruedener just days before he and 3 other UN observers were killed by IAF airstrikes
[ QUOTE ]
This is all the information of a non-tactical nature that I can provide you. I cannot give you any info on Hezbollah position, proximity or the amount of or types of sorties the IAF is currently flying. Suffice to say that the activity levels and operational tempo of both parties is currently very high and continuous, with short breaks or pauses. Please understand the nature of my job here is to be impartial and to report violations from both sides without bias. As an Unarmed Military Observer, this is my raison d'etre.
What I can tell you is this: we have on a daily basis had numerous occasions where our position has come under direct or indirect fire from both artillery and aerial bombing. The closest artillery has landed within 2 meters of our position and the closest 1000 lb aerial bomb has landed 100 meters from our patrol base. This has not been deliberate targeting, but has rather been due to tactical necessity.

[/ QUOTE ]
link
The last line says it all. According to Major General Lewis McKenzie, former head of Nato’s operation in Serbia and Kosovo, the last sentence of the paragraph is military code for Hizboalla has taken over our base and is using it to launch missiles. (sorry no link for this, it was taken from the july 27th print issue of the National Post)

I think it is very clear that if the UN allows Hezbollah fighters to use the base for cover to launch attacks then the United Nations has lost all impartiality in the conflict and the base becomes a clear war target. Furthermore if the base is taken over by force and the UN observers don’t leave, they have taken sides in the conflict and they themselves become targets.

Now I don’t actually believe major Hess-von Kruedner supported the Hezbollah logistically or even morally. His death was a tragedy of war, nothing else. To say otherwise is a lie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even more obvious bias is found in the UNs ignoring direct attacks by HZB on blue helmets.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:10 PM

Hezbollah attacking UN workers is not news.

Hezbollah attacks UN peacekeepers
Old 07-28-2006, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hezbollah attacking UN workers is not news.

Hezbollah attacks UN peacekeepers

[/ QUOTE ]

But Kofi's ignoring such attacks in this war, while immediately condemning Israel for a far from "apparently deliberate attack" is apparently news to some here.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:24 PM

If this story is true (the website certainly appears to be fly by night with no links to the home page, no evidence of authorship etc) you are equating the tactics of a known terrorist group with the tactics of a State.
Closed Thread