Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 08:33 AM

Default Openlimping in NL short??

There was a little discussion about this here , but I thought it deserved an own thread. So is it always a bad idea? If not, under which circumstances does it become a good play?
Old 07-29-2006, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Openlimping in NL short??

i open-limp in passive tables where i can get the odds to do so. an example would be this:

3 limp in at a table with loose-passive SB and BB. if im on button with a mediocre hand (small/med pairs, low suited connectors, high suited gappers) i will limp. im getting 5:1 on the spot and plenty of implied odds if i hit the flop.

just my opinion
Old 07-29-2006, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3 limp in at a table with loose-passive SB and BB. if im on button with a mediocre hand (small/med pairs, low suited connectors, high suited gappers) i will limp. im getting 5:1 on the spot and plenty of implied odds if i hit the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually raise up pockets in this spot maybe 3-4 bb beacuse I want to build a pot when I hit my set and every now and then I can take it down with a small continuation bet on the flop.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a little discussion about this here , but I thought it deserved Another thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are intrested in getting some insight on various thought on open-limping, go to the FAQ post, Find Pokey's "How to use Search" and look for a post with open-limping inthe title that has a lot of advice/thoughts. Oh and Never Open Limp! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img](best advice i ever got)
Old 07-29-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a little discussion about this here , but I thought it deserved an own thread. So is it always a bad idea? If not, under which circumstances does it become a good play?

[/ QUOTE ]

whether or not i openlimp is almost entirely controlled by the stack sizes of the players i'm targeting.

the secondary consideration is whether they are calling stations after the flop or before the flop.

if they have big stacks and are calling stations throughout the hand, then i'm open-raising lots of hands in an effort to get a big pot going.

if they have big stacks and like to check-fold the flop, then i'm open-raising lots of hands just to c-bet it on the flop.

i likely play it just the opposite against small stacks so that there's money left to bet on the turn and river should i flop a draw.

This really only applies to speculative hands like suited connectors under JTs since hands higher than that will flop top-pair type hands often enough.