Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 11:27 AM

Default Push or fold... which is standard?

Answer is probably automatic from veterans. I've only been playing MTT's for a short time. Made a few final tables but have never booked a win.

Cruising along a low buy in tournament on FT... Everythings going my way, doubled up early, stealing lots of blinds -- even got away with a few nice re-steals from the BB.

(ps this isn't a bad beat story)

I'm at work so I dont have the hand history.

9-max table,

I'm in SB with aorund 8k
Villain in BB with a few chips more than me. (8k+)
It folds around to me in the SB. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Blinds are 100-200. Nowhere near the money bubble yet.
I raise to 700. BB smooth calls.

Flop (1400t) is
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check -- which I realize is probably the wrong play. Should bet here yeah?

Villian bets 1100 into the pot.

So here's my question. If we are fairly sure that he has a stronger Ace (I put him AQ, incorrectly) -- is this an auto push? Can we find a fold here? We've got the Ace/questionable kicker and a nut flush draw.

i mean, it's not worth to put your tournament life on the line when you're probably out kicked / drawing to a heart, is there?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Push or fold... which is standard?

Check raise allin is sexy. You need to follow through on the flop after raising preflop.

I'm more inclined to limp from the SB with hands like this fwiw.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:16 PM

Folding would be so ridiculous, a gun shot to the head couldn't stop me from getting my chips in. I raise this pf all day.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:27 PM

Should have bet the flop, and see what the villian does next. As it stands, pushing is the best option.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So here's my question. If we are fairly sure that he has a stronger Ace (I put him AQ, incorrectly) -- is this an auto push? Can we find a fold here? We've got the Ace/questionable kicker and a nut flush draw.

i mean, it's not worth to put your tournament life on the line when you're probably out kicked / drawing to a heart, is there?

[/ QUOTE ]
The question is: why are you fairly sure villian has an ace here, never mind a stronger ace?

Put yourself in BB's shoes: you've got a hand like A4, 88, or KQ and SB raises when everyone folds to him. You're not going to let him steal your blinds when you have a semi-decent hand, so you smooth call. The flop shows an A, but the blind stealer checks to you and you realise he was probably trying to steal with garbage. You bet and expect to take the pot right there.

As played, I would c/r AI.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:41 PM

I think you played this perfect if you knew villain would bet here if checked to. Now, just push.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:43 PM

This is HU poker and you have top pair, ace. Plus you have the extra of having the nut flush draw. It does not get better than this very often. You simply have to assume you are ahead here and try to extract as much from villain as possible.

You put him on AQ!!! What!!! You have an ace, there is an ace on the board and you have one opponent and you assume he has AQ. Do you have any idea what the odds of that are! Let just say it is unlikely enough that you are beat that you have to assume you are ahead. Your line of thinking is way too tight for a battle of the blind. You are not playing against the UTG raiser here.

As to the title of your post this is neither a push nor a fold, it is a bet that you wish gets called and pray that it gets raised to get your opponent to put as much money in the pot as possible. I say ½ to 2/3 of the pot looks about right.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played this perfect if you knew villain would bet here if checked to. Now, just push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im with him

***I jam because he isnt folding an A, but the flush may scare him off on later streets. FWIW, I think we have him outkicked plenty if he calls, if not we have like a bazillion outs.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I did.... I thought about it for a few seconds and re-raised all in. It doesn't matter what the results were - I just wanted to validate that I made the correct move (given the fact that I checked the flop)
Old 07-26-2006, 10:13 PM

if you seriously fold this you should quit poker forever, and, i don't know, become a monk or a dairy farmer or something