Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Lucky You Trailer (poker movie)

Lucky You

This looks like the movie version of "Tilt" with a little "Rounders" mixed in. Man this looks poor, although I'm sure the acting of Barry Greenstein and Doyle Brunson will save it.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Lucky You Trailer (poker movie)

Wow. That looks absolutely horrible.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:48 PM

lets talk about the trailer for the fountain instead

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/the...er1/large.html
Old 07-27-2006, 07:20 PM

Meh, the trailer for Lucky You didn't look half bad, I mean it wasn't great, but it didn't seem horrible, plus it had Eric Bana, and I happen to think he's a pretty decent actor.

The Fountain however...damn, the trailer was sick, it's now on my must-see list.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lucky You

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew it was only a matter of time when Hollywood tried to cash in on a poker movie. Now we got Eric bana, the dude that played the hulk, as our poker star. Perfect.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lucky You

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew it was only a matter of time when Hollywood tried to cash in on a poker movie. Now we got Eric bana, the dude that played the hulk, as our poker star. Perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think poker is an extremely difficult subject for Hollywood to make a movie about that doesn't suck.

Rounders pulled it off perfectly, though.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lucky You

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think poker is an extremely difficult subject for Hollywood to make a movie about that doesn't suck.

Rounders pulled it off perfectly, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it so difficult for Hollywood to make a good poker movie? Rounders has some obvious mistakes by the way, but yes it's a good movie (entertaining at least).
Old 07-29-2006, 02:30 AM

good gracious that looks pretty bad.

Although possibly some half-decent moments with Duvall perhaps.
And there might be a visual aspect of the film that is appealing.

Isn't there a poker movie with Burt Reynolds or somebody that was filmed partly in New Orleans with the WPT crew.
I thought that was this one but apparently not. Anybody know the name of the other one?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:14 AM

The problem is that a poker movie is essentially a sports movie except without all the action and movement. And how many crappy sports movies has hollywood churned out over the years?

At least with sports movies you can fill screen time with visceral action sequences. With poker you can only show a guy shoving all his chips in so many times.

The closest subject to poker is chess. And there haven't been an awful lot of good chess movies either for pretty much the same reasons. And the ones that do work (Fresh, Searching for Bobby Fisher) really use chess as a metaphor. There's lots of chess in Fresh and Searching for Bobby Fisher but they're both really coming of age stories (with some added crime thriller in Fresh). That'd be the key to making a great chess movie (really, that's the key to most great sports movies - They're really movies about something else (say Bull Durham) that use the framework of the sport to set and illustrate the story).

IMHO, the "sport" in most sport movies almost has to be a McGuffin replaceable by any other sport by just changing up the scenes of competition. Which isn't to say the sport doesn't have to be done right, it absolutely does, but the sport is not the story. The sport is the metaphor.

Lucky You looks to have wrapped itself in a romantic comedy with some Oedipal conflict. I have no idea how well it'll work, but, you can be sure something's pretty freaking mainstream when Hollywood starts making romantic comedies...