Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Using sign language at a table

I will be taking some deaf friends of mine to Harrah's for some poker. What is the protocol for this? Specifically, can we speak in sign language at the table? And can my friends and i use signs to indicate call/raise/etc, instead of speaking? Naturally, i will inform the floor person, dealer, and other players of the situation before playing, but i was just wondering what to expect before we go.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Using sign language at a table

Just no signing during the hand. "English only at the table" applies to sign language as well.

I assume your friend knows the hand signals for all actions, so he should be more then fine.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:20 PM

Yes, poker is easily a completely silent game, when you want it to be. When he wants to raise, just have him put all the money out at once. When he calls, same thing. A check is a check (with your hand). No verbal is necessary. IF he wants to go all in, just have him push all his chips in. Simple.

I have played at a table with 100% deaf people (except for myself), and had a ball. No problems whatsoever.

Just inform the dealer when you sit down, if you want to. He doesn't have to. Like I said, poker can be played completely silently, and no one would no the difference.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have played at a table with 100% deaf people (except for myself)

[/ QUOTE ]

And in heaven this is a daily game at the stakes I love where I never get three-outed on the river.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:11 PM

As someone who went through ASL interpreter training (though am not currently an interpreter), and has helped a deaf person deal with poker room floorpeople, here's my $.02:

- No chit=chat while any of you are in a hand, in ASL. It could be nothing, but nobody else will know that.

- It might be worth 30 seconds when you all sit to explain 1 or 2 signs (specifically, "raise") to the table/dealer. If you've shown the table a sign, it's far less suspicious when someone does it during a hand (and allows the dealer the ability to indicate a raise).

My concerns wouldn't be on the deaf player making actions, but on them being aware of the current situation. Sitting in the 1 seat, for example, can make it hard to see an EP raise from the other side of the dealer. A dealer in the habit of vocally stating raise while looking towards the 10 seat side of the table will block almost all methods of a deaf person in the 1 seat from knowing what's up (can't see, can't lip read...).

Honestly, it shouldn't be a big deal. As long as the table knows the scoop, it should be all good.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will be taking some deaf friends of mine to Harrah's for some poker. What is the protocol for this? Specifically, can we speak in sign language at the table? And can my friends and i use signs to indicate call/raise/etc, instead of speaking? Naturally, i will inform the floor person, dealer, and other players of the situation before playing, but i was just wondering what to expect before we go.

[/ QUOTE ]

What limits are you guys playing? You're less likely to get crap at 2-4 than 20-40.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the info, guys. Appreciate it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What limits are you guys playing? You're less likely to get crap at 2-4 than 20-40.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably 3/6, but maybe 5/10 too.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:20 PM

The one problem I can see coming up is if someone raises with a single chip, but not to the amount of the chip, will your deaf freinds know how much the raise was? E.g. With blinds 100/50, Someone says "raise to 300" and puts in a $500 chip.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:23 PM

its limit

at nl, just buy in for appropriate chip denominations.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:49 PM

There was a deaf guy playing at the Wynn last month, and he had a crew of about three sweating him. They were signing frantically back and forth (then again, sign language usually looks frantic to me).

Then I got seated...right next to the deaf guy, with his crew directly behind me (why'd the last person leave? Hmmm...). Needless to say, I went to great lengths to protect my hand.