Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2006, 01:25 PM

Default $5NL 6m: a non-standard hand

A completely non-standard hand, for a change. I'd like to know whether you agree with my thought process, given my reads.

UTG is a donkey, calling down and minbetting with stuff like bottom and middle pair.

BB is pretty good. Usually aggressive, though he likes to slowplay sometimes like every other 5NL player out there.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB ($1.97)
BB ($6.46)
UTG ($2.15)
MP ($1.96)
Hero ($5)
Button ($2.57)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $0.02, Button calls $0.02, SB completes, BB checks.

Q9o is at the bottom of my limping range. It does get me into trouble postflop, but that's good for my skills there, no? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Flop: ($0.10) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.02</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.12</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls $0.12, UTG calls $0.10.

Okay, I flop TP3K. I take no notice of UTG's minbet at all. So I raise, see what happens, price out the flush draw. I haven't been getting a lot of respect for my raises, mostly because I haven't won a pot at this table yet (card dead). BB's flatcall scares me, a lot. BB is good, and wouldn't be doing that without at least top pair. I still disregard UTG's call.

Turn: ($0.46) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $0.02</font>, Hero calls $0.02, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $0.06</font>, UTG calls $0.04, Hero calls $0.04.

So I'm just wanting to slow down here. Disregard UTG's bet again, and BB check-raises. However, the pot is at $0.5 now, I'm probably drawing to a 5-outer (nines or queens), so calling 0.04 cents into it is actually correct, not even taking implied odds into account.

River: ($0.64) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.26</font>, UTG calls $0.26, Hero calls $0.26.

I actually hit one of my five outs. I think I made the only mistake in the hand here. Not raising for value.

Final Pot: $1.42

Any comments? Anything you would've done differently?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Re: $5NL 6m: a non-standard hand

Preflop - Either raise or fold. I just don't like limping marginal hands when I have a good shot at having position postflop. Raising gets a lot of marginal hands out of the way, giving your marginal hand a better chance of winning.

Flop, I like the pot size raise.

Turn, This card doesn't really contribute to many hands that likely beat you. Sure, you are trying to keep the pot small, but as playd, I'd have liked a raise from you, possibly 2/3 pot size. This is just me, could be wrong. As played, calling the check raise is fine, you're getting .60 - .04 or 15-1 on the call. This probably shows you that you are likely behind. I'd be concerned of a set here.

River, I like the call, because you might be up against a set, which in case you are already beat. If you raise, only hands that have you crushed call you.

It is very possible that BB is holding 88, 99(less likely), 22, or 44, which you are behind.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:47 PM

fold preflop
Old 07-16-2006, 04:18 PM

Raise or fold is usually good preflop. I'm not sure I like it with a marginal hand when I haven't been getting respect for raises at all. If 3 people are flat-calling my raises every time, I'd rather tighten up my raises, and start seeing flops more cheaply.

On the turn, I'm 95% certain I'm behind against BB. I'm happy it's a blank, but does that matter? I would've folded against a pot-sized bet. Why should I raise then?

River: Hmm, I guess you're right.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:10 AM

Okay, some results I guess. UTG actually had JJ. So I lost a few Sklansky bucks until the river. BB had 82 for a flopped two pair.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:29 AM

1) Fold preflop.

2) Might as well raise that weak turn minbet to about .35 or so

3) Calling river is ok the way you played it, but I could see raising if you can fold to a 3-bet.