Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2006, 08:42 PM

Default Hand from the 1st orbit in Event 22: $2K NLHE

1st orbit, no reads. We started with 2K in chips. The only player I recognize at the table is Robert "Bo" Toft to my immediate left.

2 limpers, I limp in the CO w/ Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Both blinds check their option. 5 players to the flop.

(Pot: 125) Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Checks to me, I bet 100, SB c/r's to 275, folds to me and I call.

(Pot: 675) Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB bets 350, <font color="red"> I ??? </font>

A) fold
B) call and call a reasonable river bet if it's a non-A,K,J,or T
C) make a small raise to 800 and be done putting money in the pot if called, unless I river a Q or 9
D) make a ~potsize raise all-in

Anyone 3-bet the flop making it ~800?
Old 07-16-2006, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Hand from the 1st orbit in Event 22: $2K NLHE

A.

And 3-betting the flop is really bad.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is two pair that weak here?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:35 PM

What hands is he raising you with here? If this was KQ I'd feel a little different, but bottom two here isn't that great. I'd be very cautious here and God knows I'm not always that eager to play cautiously.

Hands that play this way:

JT, KQ, K9, KT, KJ, 99, QT?, QJ?

What am I forgetting? I know there are tonso donks here, but I think Villain is very strong here.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:38 PM

I think I do three-bet the flop here and I'm interested to know why that is bad. SB can be representing any two cards, but we assume that he's hit something, we are in position, and there's no reason for SB to believe that we've hit anything very hard so I three bet here to find out whether he has hit something very hard, whether he can be persuaded that we indeed have, which we have to some degree, and because, if he hasn't hit very hard indeed, we are going to get to see turn and river for free, or pick up the pot.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:03 PM

Let's try to deal in specifics as opposed to generalities and assign some hands Villain might C/R the flop with 5 people in the hand.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:37 PM

I either 3-bet the flop or fold on the flop. I want to know where I stand. Any action on the turn is likely to be more expensive than a modest raise on the flop.

But, if I think he has a set, 2 pair, or a straight, I am just about dead, and I should dump it on the flop. Even filling up on the turn could be a disaster against his 2 pair or set.

And I am hard pressed to think of a lot of hands he should check-raise the flop with. Given straight draws and 5 players who could be playing bigger cards, I am not going to try for a check raise on the flop, unless I have a very good hand. I don't want to give any free cards.

So I probably dump my hand on the flop. Bottom two pair isn't a hand a I want to take a big hit with that early and with that board.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:49 PM

It seems to me that sb may be raising the guy (you) that is "obviously" stealing and using his position with a hand as weak as QXs just trying to resteal into a field of announced weakness. Reraise to try and find out just where you are at. Muck if he gets uglier with another reraise. If a free turn and river result that is a good thing but bottom two pair are not yet proven to be behind.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A.

[/ QUOTE ]

villain is giving great odds to come along for the ride. 4:1 on the turn call. you think hero's that far behind?

the c/r wtih the weak bet on the turn smells like a trap but it's hard to turn down the offer.

...the more i write this the more sense it is to release.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:56 PM

The reason I call the flop raise but not the turn is because I think the number of chips we're getting when a Q or a 9 rivers is less than when it comes on the turn.

Maybe that's just the LHE in me speaking.