Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Borg 80 Hand

Borgata 80-160. Folded to me in the cutoff and I open with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The button, a solid regular, three bets. Both blinds fold and I call. The flop comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. What's my plan for this hand and why?

P.S. I understand preflop is marginal (though one of the blinds and the button are tightish). But that's not the point of the thread...I'm interested in how you'd generally play this hand postflop, as played.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-17-2006, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Borg 80 Hand

standard line: berserker attack c/r-4 bet-6 bet on the flop.

possibly better line: check-call flop, bet-3 bet turn.

worst line that will be favored by most on here: check-call, check-call, check-fold.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't this line lead to him calling down with AK and only raising a hand he can't fold to a three bet (like KK or AA)? Something like JJ might suspect I'm making a weird slowplay and not raise a turn bet and even if this type of hand does raise, that doesn't mean he's folding to a three bet often. So say, you bet-raise the turn and he calls. You've priced yourself into making a hopeless bluff on the end, no?

Jeff
Old 07-17-2006, 11:54 PM

I would personnaly c/r the flop a good percentage of the time as I would with any pair. There is no flush draw and your hand is so marginal that he might never think you are on such a draw and should give you credit for at least a pair.

If he is a showdown monkey (calling down with any Ace on a board like this one), I'd check fold the river instead of keeping bluffing, otherwise I'll bet a good amount of the time.

If he 3 bets the flop, I'll donk anything but A-K on the turn. Basically I'd play this draw the same way as I would play A7 or 66 or a monster like 77 for instance.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:56 PM

n/m
Old 07-17-2006, 11:58 PM

you mentioned AK, KK, AA and JJ. if those are the sort of hands he has to have, and not a lot else (QT, etc) then it doesnt matter much what you do, youre pretty much screwed unless you hit your hand; cc, cc, cf, next thread.

if he can have a significantly wider range then we have something we can talk about a bit.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
donk turn A

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate donking a turned Ace here because an Ace will be in most of his hands he is 3 betting the hero, second pair might look you up (TT+), so you will have to bluff the river again to see him fold only a very small portion of the time... I think donking a turned A isn't very good...
Old 07-18-2006, 12:01 AM

The idea of any plays on this board aren't to get a pair to fold. That won't happen. It's to get KQ-KT and JT style hands to fold.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
standard line: berserker attack c/r-4 bet-6 bet on the flop.

worst line that will be favored by most on here: check-call, check-call, check-fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you representing?

What does he think you have?

In my opinion: it's obvious taht the flop missed both of you, the sole exception being A7 or A5

So him, knowing this, will not fold anything decent. Since he's a solid player, he only has something decent. So what's your turn check-raise going to accomplish? Most likely a calldown, or am I off?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:12 AM

If you want to see him fold something like KT and such just c/r that flop and bet any turn beside A-K since most of his holdings will have one of these... He won't be able to call down with K high if he perceive you as decent. A lot of small pocket pair would play the flop this way against a button 3 bettor and since the board isn't drawy at all, you should get some credit.

When someone donks into me on the turn like that and I have a good K or A high and no reads on him, it's so suspicious that I definitively want to see a river and sometimes a showdown just to know what kind of move he can pull...