Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2006, 09:57 PM

Default saving things on a computer that is being replaced

cheapest/easiest way without a cd burner?

preferably somewhere i can upload stuff to?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:18 AM

Default Re: saving things on a computer that is being replaced

Have you purchased the new machine yet? You can just network them together, using Windows Networking or whatever.

You're gonna be pretty unhappy uploading any amount of data offsite. If it's small, you could use the gmail/harddrive tricks for a few free gigs.
-Sam
Old 07-10-2006, 01:55 AM

It really depends on how much data you have, how sensitive the data is and how much bandwidth you have. I am with SamIam here. Do you have a NAT or null modem/crossover cable?

You could try something like http://mozy.com/ - I am still uncertain about their privacy claims, but I am weird like that.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:47 AM

Cheapest, easiest, and best way would be to find someone with an external CD/DVD burner or an externatl hard drive you could borrow for about an hour. The uploading to the net option would really be a pain and probably very very slow. Not sure how much data we are talking about though. Also, privacy is always a concern of mine, so I'd never store anything online that I'd be upset about if someone else got ahold of it.

Another pretty easy option (assuming we are talking about a desktop and not a laptop) would be to get the new computer, which will obviously have a CD/DVD burner, and pull it out and temporarily hook it up to the old pc. It only has one big bulky ribbon cable and little power cable running to it. It's simple to pull it out and put it right back in. Heck there are step by step photo guides on the net about it. That might be the best trick if you're out of options.

Good Luck.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:59 AM

If you're comfortable with taking the computer apart, the fastest way would be to take the hard drive from the old computer and connect it to the new one, then copy the files from one hard drive to the other.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:18 AM

There are several options.

Network old and new computers. If both PC's have network cards (or onboard network), all you need is a crossover cable. If you have a router, or a DSL gateway with multiple ports, you can just plug both PC's into it. You will need to get the network working on both computers and share the drive or folders on one of the PC's. If the old PC doesn't have a network card (the new one will almost certainly have one), you can buy one for <$30.

External hard drive or USB flash drive. A flash drive will work as long as it's bigger than the biggest file you need to transfer. If you use a small flash drive, you may have to switch it back and forth several times if you have a small flash drive and lots of data. This is probably the simplest (but not fastest) way if you don't know how to do network setup. An external HD is a good thing to have for backups.

Install hard drive from old PC into new PC. If you're not installing it permanently, you don't necessarily have to mount old HD into case. You can just plug in data and power cables and set the old HD ont top of new HD or CD drive. Be sure it's not sitting deirctly on motherboard or anywhere else it could short something.

As others have said, uploading to an internet site is probably not a good way to do it. Unless you have a very fast internet connection, or only a few small files to transfer, the upload/download time could run to several hours or even a few days, if you have a dialup connection and a few gigabytes of data.