Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2006, 01:46 PM

Default Live tourney:Donk bluffs dry side pot on the bubble

One off the money two of us call the short stacks all in, I regret after the events to follow not making the isolation play but I thought two of us would have more chance to take him out since my KT ain't that strong. Flop comes J33, I check, donk bets 2k into a dry side pot, presuming that he must at least have a jack I let him have it. He turns over 78o and the all in bloke turns over q7o, in the end my king high would have taken the pot. I nearly flip over the table, I try to explain that this is the worst move ever to make in tourney poker and meet the reaction from the whole table that he was right to bluff me out to try to win the pot. Win with what?! 8 high?! Story's not all bad though, I survive bubble only for the donk to then knock me out when I have him dominated [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But I suppose it's this ignorance in play which is why I make a decent amount of money there. P.S. this is my first post, hope it's appropriate to the forum.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Live tourney:Donk bluffs dry side pot on the bubble

I share your frustration. I just don't understand why people bluff at dry side pots. I see this more online than live though.

I agree that it is terrible play.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:01 PM

I often bluff dry sidepots in stakes games, if I feel that I might be behind against the player with chips, but possibly ahead of the dead player
Old 07-08-2006, 02:08 PM

I have no problem with that play if you read the situation like that, but 8 high is generally not ahead of the all in player. Plus one off the money I don't think you should even bet a marginal hand like ace high when knocking out the player is of much importance. Early on in a tourney fine but not on the bubble.