Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Cutty sark (for the scotch drinkers)

Alright-

I'm only 20, and my dad and I share a love for bourbon whiskey and normally keep a fifth of Evan Williams seven year around the house. Given that I'm twenty, and don't really try to use my ID to buy liquor, and given the fact that my dad absolutely refuses to get into scotch, and given the fact that I like scotch, I had to take unconventional action.

(Can't buy scotch alone + dad won't try scotch (thinks it's too pricey and didn't like it last time he had it twenty years ago) + I like scotch = unconventional action to attain scotch)

So here's the move: the Evan willaims is killed and there is no way I'm going to try to bust out the Johny walker black label because it is obviously too pricey. I snag a bottle of Cutty Sark (over the johny walker red label, yes) and toss it in the cart and alert my dad that it's reasonably priced and he's going to like it. He gives in, so now we have a bottle of Cutty Sark scotts whiskey.

So I have a drink this afternoon when I get home and find it to be a decent drink. It's like 18$ for the fifth and very mild but really not all that bad.

My first question, for you scotch drinkers, is whether or not my judgment is terrible here in considering cutty sark drinkable neat; my second question is whether or not my dad will like it and how I should serve it to him the first time.

Fire away
Old 07-06-2006, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Cutty sark (for the scotch drinkers)

Does your dad drink his bourbon neat?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:07 PM

meh... Ya, but in the summer he adds a cube.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:23 PM

Then I'd toss in a cube for this, too. Should be fine.

Speaking of which, does anyone have some experience with a few lower end Scotches that might be better than JW Red for mixing? I haven't bothered to run the gauntlet in this area yet.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:48 PM

Location: Barry\'s baby is quite cute though and is well worth buying. David Sklansky

7&7 is an okay mix. But don't mix non-blended scotches with other than spring water or soda water.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:55 PM

wookie-

I would say that with most lower end blended scotches the lower end blends just really lack any character. Not a lot of smoke or peat and the legal minimum proof. They aren't like cheap vodkas or tequillas that just taste really rancid. Given this, I would say you would be fine mixing something like Cutty and save five bucks over the red, as I don't think the difference is pronounced. JW red is the same thing but can charge 20% more because it's Johnny walker.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then I'd toss in a cube for this, too. Should be fine.

Speaking of which, does anyone have some experience with a few lower end Scotches that might be better than JW Red for mixing? I haven't bothered to run the gauntlet in this area yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people like the taste of Dewars. Famous Grouse might be one to try.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:44 AM

Just to get technical, Cutty Sark is NOT Scotch. It's Scots Whisky, which is a way of hiding the fact it isn't made in Scotland. I believe it's made/blended in London, though someone can correct me on that.

If you like it, good for you, but I wouldn't try to convert someone to Scotch with it, as it's not very "Scotch" like. It's it's own drink. And for the record, in my experience people either like Bourbon or they like Scotch, rarely do they like both. Some here do, but your casual drinker doesn't, so don't feel bad if your dad doesn't convert. Some people get ahold of a really peaty Scotch first time out and hate it ever after. It does take some getting used to.

Here is a pretty good overview of the history and tastes of blended Scotch.

Blended Scotches We Love
Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Either Bourbon OR Scotch? If I had to give up either, I'd be a very sad man. In my experience, most whiskey drinkers I know go for both.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:22 PM

Yes, well, you're more adventurous than most. The masses pick one thing and stick to it, good or not. How else can you explain Taco Bell?