Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 11:33 AM

Default Coaching a U15 Co-ed Soccer team

I am coaching my daughter's U-15 (under 15) co-ed soccer team. This is my first time coaching at this level (I have coached at all levels leading up to this.)

I know that many of you enjoy soccer and have a deep understanding of the game so I'd thought I'd ask for some basic advice on tactics (I have plenty of drills, but if you have an unusual one that the players might enjoy, feel free to share it).

First, the league plays 10 v. 10. This is a rec league with players of varying skill levels. I plan to use a 2-4-3 formation with am emphasis on attacking. Since this is rec, I'd rather the games be 4-3 than 1-0.

The skill levels of my players vary from players who are club ready to those that are a little timid. I am trying to figure out for the best place to hid my liabilities and exploit my strengths in this formation.

Thoughts and any other ideas are welcome.......

BTW - I know where the soccer coaching forums are on the Internet and have gotten some information there. I have found that 2+2 is often also a good resource for things non-poker related.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Coaching a U15 Co-ed Soccer team

I play on a coed soccer team. 11 players, 4 girls. We usually put a girl on defense, 1 on defense, 1 in midfield, and the other alternating between forward and midfield depending on the other team. midfield is crucial, and you want your best athletes there.

matchups are probably the most criticial thing - you don't want a slow girl marking a fast male forward
Old 08-10-2006, 01:24 PM

Zod,

I drafted girls with 3 of my first 6 picks. They can mark about 90% of the boys in the league. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2006, 01:32 PM

not a bad strategy, considering the variance with girls is often higher than in guys. good girls are very valuable to have.

if you can find an awesome girl goalie, that's the best.

ditto for girls pitching in softball.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2-4-3 formation

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd better have two extremely strong defenders using this formation. Even if you do, I'm not sure it's a good idea, even given the objectives you mentioned. There's going to be a ton of space in the back of your defense, and kids that age will be able to recognize it and just knock the ball into the open field and have someone run after it. Furthermore, your defenders will have a difficult time playing the ball out of the back intelligently because of the pressure they'll be under, and will probably resort to clearing the ball long every time. It probably will lead to a higher-scoring game, but it won't do much to promote better tactics for either your team or your opponents -- which is at least part of the objective of a U15 rec league.

-McGee
Old 08-10-2006, 03:38 PM

Aces,

My top defenders are very good at the offsides trap. Will that be enough to mitigate or at least slow down the odd man rushes?

Maybe have my inside left midfielder hang back when an opponent has a strong front line?

I have one dominant mid fielder (he is left footed) and one who is above average, so I hope that we can control the ball and keep it in the offensive zone.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:45 PM

First 2-4-3 is a terrible formation without the midfielders having specific defensive tactics which is probably beyond your players. I'd alternate between a 3-4-2 and 4-3-2 formation depending on the strenght of your players. I'm a big fan of the back four although that might be a little defensive with only 10 girls on the pitch.

Secondly you need to decide which is more important, winning or style. If style then play a passing game, encourage crosses and teach your girls how to head (a massive advantage at that level). Try to impress the importance of position, IE holding a formation so the pitch is well covered, and movement off the ball, which is something female players seem to struggle with more than male players for some reason. Concentrate you best players in midfield where they'll do the most work and have someone decent in goal.

If however winning is the key priority then its pretty simple. Teach the girls to kick the ball a long way in the air. Theres no need to train strenght to do this, as they practice they will simply hit longer due to better technique. Make them aggressive and focus on competing for the ball. A pretty simple drill would be to have one girl hit in a ball in the air over 20yards to an area where you have two girls competing. Girl you gain control first wins (you judge). Then in the game get your two best players and put one upfront (the quicker one) and one at the centre of defence (the stronger one). What you get is a game where you dominate territory due to your superior kicking length and ability to compete.

Ugly but it works
Old 08-10-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My top defenders are very good at the offsides trap.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is rarely the question you need to ask in co-ed soccer. The real question is: How good are the refs at calling offsides?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If however winning is the key priority then its pretty simple. Teach the girls to kick the ball a long way in the air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Booyah. My junior high team won our regionals based on this same strategy. You're probably not going to be able to teach them skilled ball drills if it's a co-ed team, since you can't run the [censored] out of them in practice.

Play the long ball.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My top defenders are very good at the offsides trap.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is rarely the question you need to ask in co-ed soccer. The real question is: How good are the refs at calling offsides?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the refs are supposed to be FIFA certified and most have 10+ years of experience (the league hires high school level referees). I plan to speak with the ref prior to the match and let him know that my team will be running a lot of offsides traps.

If he misses a bunch then I guess I will add a defender.