Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2006, 08:10 AM

Default Some Trivia about Christopher Columbus.....

......He rode on the last ship in case the world really was flat....
Old 07-02-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Some Trivia about Christopher Columbus.....

Moderator(s) notified In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Moderator(s) notified In a moment you will be automatically returned to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get the OP, and I also don't get why you reported the post. Someone explain?
Old 07-02-2006, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get the OP, and I also don't get why you reported the post. Someone explain?

[/ QUOTE ]
0 content.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:52 PM

I wouldn't say zero content; rather 100% incorrect content.

All educated people in Columbus's time knew there the earth was spherical. The idea that Columbus's contemporaries believe that it was flat and that he might sail off the edge was first propagated in the 1820s, most notably by Washington Irving in his biography of Columbus.

If OP was making his post in seriousness, I recommend the book Inventing the Flat Earth: Columbus and Modern Historians by Jeffrey Burton Russell.

BTW, not only did educated people throughout Europe know of the earth's shape, they also knew its approximate circumference and opposition at court to Columbus's plan to reach Asia by sailing west centered around the fact that he had vastly underestimated the planet's circumference. Which, of course, he had.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:45 AM

There is evidence to suggest that Christopher Columbus knew exactly where he was sailing and was in possesion of a map that outlined the coast of America or had at least seen one so knew roughly where he was going...

That he was a Mason or a Knight Templar or some other secret society member who had "secret knowledge" in the form of a map showing America or a moor companion that knew where he was going.

Certainly all over the world there is evidence to suggest secret knowledge all over the place. There are maps that show longitude before longitude was discovered - and maps like the "Piri Reiss" map that show details of land that noone should have known anywhere near their time of writing.
(In the case of Piri Reiss the land mass of Antarctica in 1412!)

Other evidence suggests that Columbus was Portugese and not even called Columbus his real name was Salvador Fernandes Zarco.

We can't say much for certain regarding Columbus apart from that whatever history is true about it is more than likely exaggerated in some fashion and we can pretty certainly say for sure that he didn't think the earth was flat.

(See Graham Hancocks bok "Fingerprints of the Gods" for lots of stuff on hidden knowledge as relating to ancient wonders of the world)
Old 07-03-2006, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
See Graham Hancocks bok "Fingerprints of the Gods" for lots of stuff on hidden knowledge as relating to ancient wonders of the world)

[ QUOTE ]

I picked up Fingerprints of the God's at my local Barnes and Nobel and was thrilled with the book. When I went back to buy another, they had moved his books from the science section to the new age section. Made me wonder how respected his ideas are to his peers. I'm just wondering because I know nothing of archeology, etc and could be easily duped.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:24 AM

His ideas are rubbished by most of the scientific community - tho I think that makes them more likely to be true [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

e.g. Hancock contends that the Pyramids were not built when mainstream Egyptologists say they were which has upset most of the Egyptologists. He says he has geological evidence that the sphinx is MUCH older than Egyptologists say because of rain weathering patterns found on it.

His newer books delve into Spirituality and that kind of thing which is probably why they were moved.

Look at the evidence he puts forward and then look at evidence provided by the mainstream and make up your own mind who to believe. I'm with Hancock for the most part.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
See Graham Hancocks bok "Fingerprints of the Gods" for lots of stuff on hidden knowledge as relating to ancient wonders of the world)

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked up Fingerprints of the God's at my local Barnes and Nobel and was thrilled with the book. When I went back to buy another, they had moved his books from the science section to the new age section. Made me wonder how respected his ideas are to his peers. I'm just wondering because I know nothing of archeology, etc and could be easily duped.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think I've ever heard of the book or the author before, but Wikipedia has a brief entry about it. I have a hard time taking it seriously just from that, but I'd have to give it a fair look to say anything more.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:30 AM

There is no credible evidence that Columbus was in possession of a "secret map" or knew where he was going. He was definitely not a Mason or a Knight Templar. He was definitely not Portuguese. It is certain that the Cristobal Colon who sailed across the Atlantic in 1492 was the same Cristoforo Colombo who was born in or near Genoa to a weaver named Domenico.

We are extremely well informed about Columbus. No contemporary of humble origins or maritime vocation has left so many traces in the records, or so much writing of his own.

From one point of view, Columbus was a crank. Even in his own lifetime, he had a cranky reputation. He claimed to hear celestial voices. He embarrrassed the court of the Spanish monarchs by appearing provocatively atired in public, once in chains and regularly in a Franciscan habit. On his first voyage, mutineers plotted to throw him overboard during his flustered machinations with new-fangled and unwieldy navigational instruments.

These eccentricities seem to have had the effect that Columbus has attracted cranks. Popular books portrayed him as a man "ahead of his time." He had a strenuous love life; he had visionary glimpses of America from Iceland; he had a plan to conceal the fact that he was Jewish.

All ridiculous. We can say a lot for certain about Columbus.