Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 01:29 AM

Default Beer suggestions

I was never huge on beer when I started drinking in college. I was 18 and mainly went the horrible liquor route (read Bankers Vodka) since it was one of the cheaper and quickest routes of getting drunk. From 20-21 I drank seldomly because the bar scene just seemed to get stale for me. I have recently started drinking a bit more recently and am looking for some new suggestions. I recently was turned on to Blue Moon and I really liked it. I realize this is something of a knockoff attempt at making a Belgian beer, so I'm looking for similar higher quality suggestions. I also recently had Franziskaner weissbeer and would like to try some similar stuff. I also like cider, but have only had Woodchuck. It's the only brand I've seen around, but don't really know what to look for here. Thanks in advance
Old 06-29-2006, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Beer suggestions

As far as real Belgian whites go, Hoegaarden is widely available and very good. If you find Mannequin Pis anywhere, it is exquisite. It's my favorite beer, including everything. I don't know if they distribute that far east, but Boulevard Zon is very good, and it has the advantage of being fresh. Any European import by definition has had a long boat ride, and they usually don't turn over as fast as domestics at bars and liquor stores.

For those in the Twin Cities, Summit's Scandia Ale is their attempt at a white. It's similar to Blue Moon--much better, but still not quite my cup of tea. It has more of a banana flavor than citrus. I've been told that this is characteristic of Scandinavian versions of witbier. I guess it makes sense, because there sure are a lot of Scanidnavians around here.

As far as Weissbiers go, I drink Paulaner Hefe-Weizen almost every week and it's quite good. I have had better, but I can't remember the names and I'm about ready to drop off. Franz Somethingorother was one. I don't think you can really go wrong with a German Weissbier. They have laws against making bad beer there.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They have laws against making bad beer there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet, somehow, they still allow sales of Bud.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:48 PM

If you want a suggestion for a different type of beer (that is, not a wheat beer), try a brown ale. They aren't really an 'acquired taste' the way some styles are, like stout or IPA. Newcastle would be a good introduction to the style (although I don't much care for it) and is widely available. Moose Drool is one of the best straight browns I've had, but not sure of availability.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:23 PM

Harpoon IPA Winter Warmer
Old 06-29-2006, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They have laws against making bad beer there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet, somehow, they still allow sales of Bud.

[/ QUOTE ]

What they used to have were laws about what you could use to make beer. According to the beer purity law, you could only use water, yeast, hops, and malt to make beer. Until recently, most Americans beers could not be sold in Germany because they were made with other ingredients, like grain. (Bud, as stated on the label, is made with rice.)

The law is no longer in effect, but German brewers still follow it.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:15 AM

Yeah, I love Blue Moon. Try it with an orange if you haven't already.
Hoegaarden's already been men5tioned. For something more local, try Celis White (I think they were a microbrew in Austin but got bought out recently).
Paulaner is a pretty good hefeweizen. I don't know as much about them because I tend to like the belgian whites more than the hefs.
I do recommend New Belgium Sunshine, with a lemon.

Mmmm... and speaking of German beer, I haven't had a Dinkel Acker dark in ages. I love those! Dark AND crisp! How do they do that?
Old 06-30-2006, 03:22 AM

I'm pretty sure that Moose Drool doesn't get that far east.