Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2006, 09:53 AM

Default I\'m Writing Book on NLHE

Actually I maybe am going to try it, have been thinking about it for a while now. I figured it would be too weaksauce to have the title "maybe writing a book on NLHE". I haven't kept up with the books on poker for a while though. There used to be a huge void for cash game NLHE advice. It's covered at a very low level. Psychology, and shorthanded play and handreading are all things that haven't been covered well or at all.

What's been going on since Barry Greenstein's book was released? Could anyone please tell me holes have been filled and what is planning on coming out, what you guys want to see? Like I just read here JASucker and Ray Zee are writing a book on similar stuff but it sounds like limit?? Any help appreciated.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:57 AM

Default Re: I\'m Writing Book on NLHE

NLHETAP just came out, and Matt Flynn, Sunny Mehta and Ed Miller are coming out with a SSNL book. The void for cash game NLHE books is starting to get filled.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:23 AM

NLHETAP - that is quite the acronym
Old 06-14-2006, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NLHETAP - that is quite the acronym

[/ QUOTE ]

You should see the one for the upcoming Zee and Sucker book [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Btw, although some of the gap is currently being filled, there is still a need for short handed and head up material. I am always looking for good information on hand reading/psychology as well.

I think the SSNL book is going to be covering some of the above topics, but this is going to be towars the lower limits. Maybe you could focus on the medium/higher limits, and the adjustments necessary to move upwards in limits. This could be a good time to do this, as there are often players looking to move up, but come unstuck as they are unsure on how to adjust.

Just a thought.

Good luck with the book,

PJS
Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 PM

short handed strategy
heads up strategy
blind stealing
blind defending

thats what i wanna see
Old 06-14-2006, 12:20 PM

Have you considered co-authoring with slansky? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
short handed strategy
heads up strategy
blind stealing
blind defending

thats what i wanna see

[/ QUOTE ]

i like the above list.... seems like no-limit tournaments are very popular and you absolutely have to steal blinds aggressively and defend them aggressively (but selectively on the defense) or you will die. but i don't think 85% of players realize the extent to which you have to do this.

i have lots of ideas for books (i know that's not the hard part in publishing a book)...

i think there's a need for a book that is all about reading your opponent/hand reading etc..... people seem to be addicted pokertracker online, so how do i become a poker tracker in person?? maybe integrate memory management techniques (like counting card system where you have some rudimentary score for the people around you)... i'm find that reading hand and opponent is so vital. all the books eventually assume that you are good at the read but i think we all need improvement in that area.

huge hole in no-limit but i too think it's getting filled. i am surprised there hasn't been a torrent of books on no-limit (i.e. negreanu or ivey should lock themselves in a room with a good author who knows poker for a month - i know a month isn't long enough for a good book, but i'm surprised there haven't been any "hit and run" books coming out.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:49 PM

hand reading isn't covered much and IMO it is much more importan than the line taken in a hand. people normally cop out on hand reading and say "this is player specific we can't help you hand read" but that is not true
Old 06-14-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand reading isn't covered much and IMO it is much more importan than the line taken in a hand. people normally cop out on hand reading and say "this is player specific we can't help you hand read" but that is not true

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, hand read and opponent read are vital and hand read depends on opponent read... most books seem to get to the opponent read pretty fast without really helping you form those skills.

check out "how good is your limit?" to see how read specific some of these books are.... and

i think there's a need for a better categorization of player types than i've seen out there. and it's so integral for play.... for instance, i've really noticed that a huge % of people want to stay in B&M tournaments (the few i've played) more than anything. sort of like you're enjoying the experience and everyone at work thinks you're good, so try to last as long as possible, but then at the other end, i don't think these same people realize they are in peril from the blinds anyway..... so i think with proper read, you can steal from the button against this player 90% of the time. so 90% fold equity, 10% you're in trouble but often they'll only call so you have some chance. EDIT: probably not 90% fold equity, but 90% win rate as i'm taking a shot if that guy checks.

yup, opponent reading, hand reading and integrating all of it (collecting info, processing info, using info etc.)
Old 06-14-2006, 01:10 PM

Bruiser,

Good luck with writing. It is time-consuming. If you are serious, consider signing up for a course or seminar to get college credit for writing the book. That will incentivise you to maintain productivity and give you built-in feedback.

Matt