Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 01:08 AM

Default Bottom set lots of action

SB has been playing a solid short stack game for a while...he has bought in for 20 and been doubled through...CO...meh, nothing noticeable...

Im estatic that I have hit a set, but there is mucho action. Maybe too much, what is the play here?

Also, is this a good time for a c/r? I rarely use it (I lead) but because of my relative position to the PFR, i was hoping to trap his bet and maybe a call from the SB.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
5 players
Converter

Stacks:
SB: $32.45
Hero: 125
CO: 52

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $1.5</font>, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($4.5, 4 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $3.5</font>, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $10</font>, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises all-in $30.95</font>, Hero...
Old 06-22-2006, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Bottom set lots of action

Stack sizes?

It doesn't matter though, really. I'm not getting away from this, even though SB looks super strong. Pot is 60 and you need to call 20 more, so I'd just get my chips in and hope CO comes along with AK or whatever he has.

Edit: I totally missed that you didn't lead the flop. Bet the pot here.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:13 AM

Easy push. There is no way I am folding this hand. Well, maybe if villain was the biggest nit in the world.

I'm leading this flop all day too.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:23 AM

Are we always making this call because we think we are ahead, or even there being a decent chance we are ahead, or because it is only $20 more? IE - If we are behind, we are drawing to one out, and not getting anywhere near the odds needed.

Also, can you guys explain why a lead &gt; c/r in this spot.

And if we are going to put our money in here, should we push and hope CO calls, or just call as there is a much higher chance that he calls at this level because i only called....a push by me says that i am very strong, and while a call does too, people dont seem to think that way at 50NL
Old 06-22-2006, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are we always making this call because we think we are ahead, or even there being a decent chance we are ahead, or because it is only $20 more? IE - If we are behind, we are drawing to one out, and not getting anywhere near the odds needed.

Also, can you guys explain why a lead &gt; c/r in this spot

[/ QUOTE ]

We are making this call b/c our hand is very strong and it is only 30 more. Why would you think of folding here? If you fold here, that is very weak IMO. If you are worried about set over set, well, it just doesn't happen enough to worry about lol.

I prefer leading, but check raising has it's merit too. There have been many threads about this, search for AJ's post "2 ABC questions", in which he faces a similar situation. It is in the new digest if you can't find it.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:36 AM

While our hand, is yes, at face value, a strong hand, what range of hands do you give this guy that we are ahead of? He was solid, so he wasnt pushing something like AK here.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While our hand, is yes, at face value, a strong hand, what range of hands do you give this guy that we are ahead of? He was solid, so he wasnt pushing something like AK here.

[/ QUOTE ]

How sure are you of this? Your average SSNL villain will always stack off with AK/AQ here. Also A10, maybe A8 are possible. You are overthinking this, I really don't think a fold here is correct.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds results orientated to me. I'm sure we're ahead of his range here
Old 06-22-2006, 02:08 AM

I actually won this pot...lol
I overpushed, CO folded, SB flipped over 10-10 and i hit my miracle on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

fwiw i think his range is AA/1010/A10/A8..which I am slightly behind but I have the overlay to make up for it.

I was just wondering if this was a good time to maybe get away from bottom set or not.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I was just wondering if this was a good time to maybe get away from bottom set or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

This board is next to impossible to get away from or even consider folding bottom set. You will see AT way too often.