Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Extracting Max Money... how many bets did I miss?

20-40 LA... Standard game, to many to the flop, one LAG, not in this hand ironically. BB is solid, to my left is the definition of a calling station. Rarely comes alive, has tells for days, more money than god, good natured guy.

I'm in the Cutoff, Calling station on Button to my left, only other solid player is in BB.

4 limpers, I limp in cutoff with 7-8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Button calls, both Blinds call.

Flop

5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets, two callers, I raise, Button calls, BB calls, two callers call,

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Button literally cums in his shorts and gets all interested in the hand)

BB bets, one caller, I call, Button raises, BB calls, one caller, I three bet. Now the BB looks disgusted and folds 55 (bottom set) face-up out of turn. Button calls my 3 bet, other player drops.

Heads up.

River is a brick, 2 or something. I bet, Button calls.

I think I get EVERYONE trapped in this hand if I just raise the turn instead of smooth calling then 3 betting.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Extracting Max Money... how many bets did I miss?

I love misuse of the word "literal"
Old 06-22-2006, 02:36 PM

Preflop: Unless your opponents are truly terrible I would raise here. The main benefit of raising is that if you catch a big flop the pot will be so large that your opponents will stick around to draw to inferior hands. Raising also gives you the lesser benefits of giving you the opportunity to see the turn card for "free" if it gets checked to you, and you may also buy the button.

Flop: Nicely done.

Turn: He literally jizzed in his shorts? That's disgusting. Ask for a new set-up.

Considering your tell I guess you played the turn fine, although even if I had an ironclad tell I would still strongly consider raising. You do understand that A) BB is a terrible poker player, and B) you should be happy that he folded, right?

River: Standard.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB is solid

[/ QUOTE ]

and

[ QUOTE ]
Now the BB looks disgusted and folds 55 (bottom set) face-up out of turn

[/ QUOTE ]

When you start making reasonable reads and posts then maybe we can start giving reasonable responses.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:45 PM

I think your line was the best even though it didn't work out as well as you had hoped.

I do question the following:

[ QUOTE ]
BB is solid, . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

and

[ QUOTE ]
Now the BB looks disgusted and folds 55 (bottom set) face-up out of turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Yeah, dude. You must be drawing completely dead with your bottom set. Smart fold out of turn before you see if button just calls giving you like around 16:1 odds (plus probably higher because of the passive lipers who will likely call and close the turn action).
Old 06-22-2006, 02:56 PM

I beat you by 1 minute.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I beat you by 1 minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing... the BB IS a really good player... our reads on the button are so strong that BB and I...knew that the button had a monster, either A) he hit the gutshot or B) he had an over set.

Add to which, when I 3 bet, I either have an over set or something like 10-J of hearts (maybe... but not likely).

The BB knew he either had "outs", was drawing dead, or at best had to dodge 1/2 the deck... he was 100% sure that he was way behind...

P.S. He was correct and dominated in both spots.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I beat you by 1 minute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing... the BB IS a really good player... our reads on the button are so strong that BB and I...knew that the button had a monster, either A) he hit the gutshot or B) he had an over set.

Add to which, when I 3 bet, I either have an over set or something like 10-J of hearts (maybe... but not likely).

The BB knew he either had "outs", was drawing dead, or at best had to dodge 1/2 the deck... he was 100% sure that he was way behind...

P.S. He was correct and dominated in both spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like BB is such a good hand reader that he knows exactly what each of you have. In which case, if he "knows" you have the turned str8 and Button has a set of 6's then it is a good fols since he is drawing dead to a five.

However, consider the following. It is pretty hard to put you on a set here given the action. I don't see how you play 66, 99 or KK this way and you can't have 55. That leaves 78 if he "knows" you have a monster. Buttn jumoped up at the 6 and you both "know" he has a monster and not, say, 56s. However, it is still three times more likely that button also has the turned straight with 78 than that he has a set of 6's (again I am discounting 99 and KK based on the actionand button's jumping at the turned 6). Given that, and the enormous pot odds, it seems like he can at least not fold outof turn.

Ironically though, in the above analysis, BB is probably inworse shape of button justcalls than if he caps it, given your reads. A call form buttonwould be more consistent with 66 (which leaves BB drawing almost dead), whereas he presumably caps with the nuts (78), against which BB has outs.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:40 PM

i think you played it very well.. you added value on the flop. and you had a pretty big draw.

i like the call on the turn and letting that guy do his business. thats one of my favorite plays.

unfortunately for the other guy ( with the set) it was too many bets to him to see the river pair or not.. but thats why its a terrific play because you got the thinking player to lay down a monster and build value against the fish.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:47 PM

That's actually a good point. Results aside, getting that guy to fold a set was a huge coup for you.