Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 01:07 PM

Default How often do you think about what you should have said?

So several times a day I'll replay old conversations or confrontations in my head, invariably thinking about what I should have said instead. These conversations often occurred 5+ years ago, with some dating back almost 20 years (I'm 26).

I really feel like I should have let these things go, but whenever I'm just spacing out driving home these things slip into my head and I still get really fired up and agitated about them before I snap myself out of it. Does anyone else do this? Am I insane, or at least well on my way?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Re: How often do you think about what you should have said?

[ QUOTE ]
So several times a day I'll replay old conversations or confrontations in my head, invariably thinking about what I should have said instead. These conversations often occurred 5+ years ago, with some dating back almost 20 years (I'm 26).

I really feel like I should have let these things go, but whenever I'm just spacing out driving home these things slip into my head and I still get really fired up and agitated about them before I snap myself out of it. Does anyone else do this? Am I insane, or at least well on my way?

[/ QUOTE ]
Going back to when you were 6?!?! That's weird. You probably are insane.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 PM

Oh, yeah? Well the jerk store called and you're their top seller.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:15 PM

it's pretty common/normal to wish you said something after the moment has passed. however, to still be dwelling on things from 15-20 years ago is a little obsessive.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's pretty common/normal to wish you said something after the moment has passed. however, to still be dwelling on things from 15-20 years ago is a little obsessive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, but I wouldn't really consider it dwelling, as these things are more come and go. These old exchanges pop into my head, I naturally think about what I should have said, then create a false positive memory with me saying exactly the right thing and getting the better of whoever. It's usually detailed enough to the point that I believe it for a second, then I experience a level of frustration when I remind myself of the reality.

The more I write it out, the more certain I become that I'm insane.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:03 PM

Clearly you should find the people who you had the conversations with, call them up, re-create the scenario, make the same conversation repeat itself, and use the line.

To have a line as perfect as jerk store and never to use it. I couldn't live with myself.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:10 PM

It's fairly common for me to regret something I said, usualy in the morning nursing on a headache. I dont think I ever dwell on these things for more then a few days though. I also think it's probably very common for people to wish they had done things differently 5 years ago, like nail a girl who you now realise wanted you, but I dont think most people think about specific conversations they had that long ago.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, yeah? Well the jerk store called and you're their top seller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well actually the jerk store was running out of YOU, but it doesn't matter because I'm their all time best seller. In other news, I had sex with your wife.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These old exchanges pop into my head, I naturally think about what I should have said, then create a false positive memory with me saying exactly the right thing and getting the better of whoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

this borders on delussional. but in a strange way it's probably a positive thing to want to try and set your past mistakes right - just a little odd to want to fix conversations as opposed to actions or decisions. i suppose there isn't any real harm in this type of mild insanity.

enjoy!
Old 06-22-2006, 03:23 PM

I'm this way about one situation that I can remember, that happened 7 years ago. [censored] boardwalk punks