Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2006, 10:14 PM

Default 70 Books in 52 weeks 12-15

It's been awhile since I've updated my reading project I've slowed down a little but I've still been reading consistently everyday.

I have increased the goal from 60 to 70 or 5 books every month, June being the 2nd month.

Onto the books.

12. A Heart Breaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers.

Imagine you are in your early 20's. Imagine both your parents dying within 5 months of each other from unrelated causes. Imagine you being the one who is choosed to raise your 8 old brother. This is the life of Dave Eggers.

I have mixed feelings on this book. I started out really disliking it mostly because I didn't enjoy the way Eggers writes. For example the way he desribed somewhat pointless parts (driving over a bridge) in excrutiating detail. It was as if for one sentence he choose to add 2 more because someone told him that's what good writers do. It seemed very forced to me but the book got really good reviews so this must be a personal taste thing. I also didn't in parts like the way in which he narrated some of the parts by not only explaining what was happening but also what his thoughts were along with his thoughts on those thoughts. However there we times when this worked really well.

My review is mixed because I really enjoyed the final 100 pages or so and found myself finally drawn into his story. The relationship with his younger brother where he was an older brother, a father, a roommate and a friend was interesting, new and compelling. In the end I rooted for them.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

13.The Gunslinger (Dark Tower part 1) by Stephen King.

I've been looking forward to reading this for quite some time and The Gunslinger did not disappoint. A cross between sci fi and biblical horror The Gunslinger is tough to review because it serves as an introduction or opening act of a larger tale. But it has me eager to continue it so it worked.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

14. Blink by Malcum Gladwell.

Blink is about the first impressions, gut feelings and intutition. Gladwell desribes what the mind is doing during this and both the positive and negative effects the go come with them. I thought the beginning was fascinating but towards the end found it a bit repititive. Blink was more interesting than useful still a short and worth while read.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

15. Diary by Chuck Palahniuk

Just finished this an hour ago and not ready sure what my thoughts are yet. It's a short easy read and I had fun trying to figure out the puzzle of Diary. Beyond that not many thoughts honestly. If you like Palahnuik, you'll get enough out of it to make it worth it, if you don't you'll likely hate it.

Next up.
The Human Stain by Phillip Roth
The Sun Also Rises by Earnst Hemmingway
The Songs of The Doomed by Hunter S. Thompson
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

I'd like to get 5 more done this month not sure if its possible though